Color of cherry

Sounds like the fantasy world of IT analysts talking to the business... huge gaps seems to be the norm!

In this case "cherry with clear finish" seems to lack any ambiguity but they were talking two different languages... like IT and the business.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Sun light will darken most woods and eventually turn them grey if exposed long enough. Sun light will also lighten some woods.

Reply to
Leon

I agree.....with a caveat. I love working with cherry. I have a bunch in stock, the origin of which is known to me. I like the smell, the way it takes detail, relatively stable and it this case not too expensive. So my last project was made with cherry and I blew 3 coats of MinWax Polyshades all over it. I got the Japanese dark red colour Angela wanted and my therapist thinks I stand a chance to be back on solid food within 3 weeks when he'll sign for a weekend pass.

The only other thing I had handy was 14" wide poplar, flat and straight and 12 feet long and 6/4, so no way was I going to hurt those boards.

oops, time is up, I must join the group and cut out some paper dolls...

Reply to
Robatoy

Sunlight has darkened my Tiger Wood (not golf related) hardwood floors a lot. I doubt they would ever go grey, though. ALl the matching and prep for this floor ..about 1200 sq. ft. and now it is all deep red with the black stripes and swirls in it. We think we will start lifting up the carpet in the middle on vacations. The lines are so distinct it may never fade evenly...LOL

After finishing the floor area I threw a wrecked piece out on the deck (rain, direct sun on south side and snow) for a year and a half now. The wood colour has darkened a lot, the urethane finish looks a bit duller but not cracked, split or harmed, as far as I can tell. I cconsidered doing the deck in exotic hardwoods after reading about it's durability. Drilling every deckscrew hole would have been a bitch though. Stuff is so friggin' hard though.

.
Reply to
Josepi

Secret Stash time, wot?

Glad to hear of your recovery, but DON'T do it again, capice?

Grok that. I'da made a Borg run and come back with some nifty termite barf. And I wish I'd sprayed that last bit of polyshades I put on a client's rolling kitchen cabinet. They had it and said "Use this, period." 3 years of therapy later, I'm still having bad dreams about it.

Weave a basket for me, will ya, big guy?

xox

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No basket weaving yet; too many pokey things. It took a special requisition to get the rubber scissors for doll-cutting. They're very nice scissors... black and green... German made... I can't make out the whole name.. Fe..s..tt. can't tell... too many teeth-marks.

Reply to
Robatoy

Some do, and some don't.

Reply to
salty

Here, use this instead:

Swingman

Grok that.

There, there. I understand. Just take your time.

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

BLO followed by French polish with orange shellac =3D perfection.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Usually the sapwood of black cherry is light yellow, heartwood is brownish, but the color will darken upon exposure to a deep reddish brown.

Reply to
http://www.Towood.com/

I like instant gratification. Especially if I can get it a few times in a row.

To be honest, the first time I darkened Cherry using my chemical soup I almost gratified in my pants I loved the look so much.

There is a long and proud tradition of using the chemicals nature gave us in my area of furniture design, namely Craftsman, Stickly influenced, etc. They used amonia fuming for 100 years. Other than shellac every film finish is a chemical mix.

As far as how good it looks? I have a 100+ year old rustic Cherry side table and the chemical treatment is the only thing that every got close to the lovely deep color of that piece. 100 years of oxidizing in an instant. Trust me, a little sunshine ain't gona do anything like this in 10 years.

I have never understood this religious adherance to the natural color of Cherry. I stain it, piss on it, use minwax ploy shades, aniline dyes, water based pigment stains, toned lacquer and all sorts of abominations and every piece more lovely than the last.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Do an alcohol test on old shellacked cherry. What rubs off isn't superblonde.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Well, after milling each plank was about 4/4 thick, 10-12 feet long and maybe 12" wide. The tree itself was about 60' high.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Nice!!! How many planks?