Color of cherry

Page 1 of 3
I felled a black cherry tree in my yard and now I'm milling the wood from it. I am finding all of this wood to be about the color of Maple, maybe a wee bit darker. How come whenever you see any Cherry furniture or cabinets it is a dark reddish brown in color? Is it always stained?
-Jim
On 11/12/2010 5:00 AM, jtpr wrote:

A lot of the "cherry" furniture you see is indeed stained to get a jump on the natural darkening process due to exposure to sunlight, or is not cherry and has been stained to look like cherry after it has been exposed to sunlight.
Cherry will naturally darken with exposure to sunlight. So much so that it will become as dark as walnut over time.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Or you can "gas" or "fume" the cherry to speed up the darkening - I believe ammonia does the trick pretty well.
jtpr wrote:

Cherry sapwood is quite light, heartwood is a medium brown and - as Swingman said - darkens over time with exposure to light, no idea if sapwood darkens too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 11/12/2010 5:00 AM, jtpr wrote:

Because we live in a world of instant gratification and people can't stand to wait the six months to a year it takes for Cherry to darken on its own. And stained Cherry never looks as good as it would if it were just left alone.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

There was a case on one of those TV "court" shows, where someone was suing a cabinent maker. The person had ordered custom cabinets "made of cherry wood with a clear finish, and was expecting them to be red.
I can just see it. The Court takes the cabinets off to store for the trial. In storage, the cabinets darken.
Get a red faced customer and a happy vendor.
Martin
On 11/12/2010 9:15 AM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:34:42 -0600, Martin Eastburn

They won't ever turn the color of cherry stain, which is the color of the fruit, not the wood. People like the customer in this story think that the wood of a cherry tree is the same color as cherry stain. These cabinets have been clear coated. I imagine they will be light colored for many years.
On 11/12/10 8:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I want some grape cabinets.
--

-MIKE-

.... and use Fruit-of-the-Loom cloth to buff them out.
Sonny
<snip>

Use purpleheart. But then it might turn brown. -)
Luigi
On 11/13/10 12:22 AM, Luigi Zanasi wrote:

You just run the doors through the planer every 6 months.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

Try some Minwax wiping poly on it. No promises, but the one piece I did that way the Purpleheart is still purple two years later.

I understand the planer blades make a mess of the hinges though... What turns it brown is oxidation. Seal off the air, and it stays purple. If you don't seal it, it will rust......like oak.
On 11/13/10 4:12 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Ahh crap, you beat me to it.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

And remember to coat the hinges, because after they've been through the planer they're guaranteed to disappear into a pile of rust. Especially if the planer has previously been used on oak. Or for that matter if the hinges exist in the same universe as an oak tree.
Incidentally, speaking of oak, pulled some nails out of the barn yesterday, they've been in oak for I dunno how long--they're wire nails, not cut nails, so that puts them after 1900 or so. In any case, while they're rusted a bit, they aren't rusted into nonexistence nor are they particularly black. Should post some pictures of 'em just to go neener- neener at oak-rust-boy.
snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

Dunno where Salty gets the idea that cherry stain is the color of the fruit. I wonder of what he believes "oak" stain to be the color. I had occasion to stain a piece of poplar with "cherry" the other day and hadn't installed it yet, so just for hohos I set it on top of a cherry turning square that's been laying around for five years or so and when you allow for the dust on the turning square it's pretty close--the poplar has taken on several different shades in different spots and I can find spots on the turning square that are pretty close to matching all of them. Some are a bit pinkish.
And clear coating doesn't automagically prevent color changes. Depends on the chemistry and the coating.
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 05:54:06 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Go get a can of "cherry stain", and dip a piece of clean white paper in it. It is very red. Not the color of cherry wood. The color of cherry juice, which was at one time the actual material used to make the stain.
There is also a color called cranberry. I assure you it is not the color of cranberry "wood".
If you can find a can that says "looks like 5 year old cherry wood", let us know!

Well, duh, Sherlock. If a customer comes to a custom cabinet maker and says they want a particular type of wood and they want a clear coating, they obviously want the color of the wood to be a certain color to match the rest of the kitchen decor. A PROFESSIONAL cabinet maker would not want those cabinets finished in a way that the color would change. If the customer wanted an aged look, the cabinet maker would age it before protecting it to prevent further aging.
On 11/13/10 8:42 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

I would say that any professional would listens to the customer and make sure that he understands what the customer wants.
When we remodeled our kitchen, I chose cherry cabinets with a clear finish and really wanted the natural aging process. WE knew that it would not have the same color one the first day as one or five or ten years later. WE have several cherry antiques and the wood colors are all different. The variety adds interest IMO.
But we understood what we were getting and how the look would change over time.

Sounds like the fantasy world of IT analysts talking to the business... huge gaps seems to be the norm!
In this case "cherry with clear finish" seems to lack any ambiguity but they were talking two different languages... like IT and the business.
John