Coffee table refinish

I have a chinese-style coffee table made in Hong Kong in the 1950s. The top has become a little scratched and dented and I'd like to fix it a little - not restore it to a brand-new condition - I like things to look a little lived in. I suspect it would have been lacquered but am considering resurfacing the top with a black of some kind and then finishing with polyurethane for protection - or else skipping the poly and putting a glass top over it. Any ideas, please? Thanks David

Reply to
myrtilus5