close call today, fortunately, no harm to man or machine

Hey all, I was ripping some OSB leftovers from an earlier roofing job. As I attempted to make the second cut the board jammed and I noticed that the table insert was lifting up at the front. I hit the STOP switch (with my knee) and waited until the blade stopped before I moved anything , fearing that the slightest twitch could cause the insert to strike the blade. After a long sigh of relief I inspected to see what may have caused this.

What occurred; there was some adhesive material on the board that adhered to the blade guard during the first cut. The guard then stuck to the insert and during the second cut when the board raised up the guard it also lifted the insert.

I've got to be more observant. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Sounds like you kept your cool and used your head. Glad you're ok

Reply to
Stoutman

Seems to me you were observant enough today.

You saw a problem and reacted quickly and appropriately, and avoided injury.

Well done!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Was it Yogi or Lasorda that said,

"You can see a lot by observing."

I have had a few of those moments when you just pause, for some unknown reason, and see the darndest things.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think it was Yoda!

Seriously though, when I upgraded from my Craftsman to a Unisaw I was concerned because the Uni insert just lays there; the Craftsman was screwed down. However I never heard any horror stories about inserts flying out. First time I turned on the Uni and I heard the insert "jump" in its recess I got scared. You can make leveling adjustments on the Uni insert but nothing for side play. I know several of the commercial zero clearance inserts hade side play adjustment.

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

The other good thing you did was having a switch you could use with your knee.

I went to buy one for my router table but they were out of stock that day. Based on your story I now plan to retrofit my table saw as well. Two of these for me, please:

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

"Steve B" wrote in news:FYaIg.3043$rT5.1916 @fed1read01:

"You can observe a lot just by watching." -- Yogi Berra

(It's easier to find a quote w/ Google when it's word for word.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

These look interesting. Wish they listed specific electrical volt/amp ratings. Wonder also why these magnetic switches are only $10 while the ones Grizzly carried were $40-$80; I see Grizzly is also now additionally offering a ~$10 magnetic switch but only a snap-in and no paddle.

Anyone know if Busy Bee online prices are $US or $CA and whether they ship to USA?

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

Page 24 of the flyer quotes it as