Clock movements

Where can I read about clock movements for a grandfather clock I would like to build? What are the good, better, best brands? What features should I look for, I.E. cable drive, chain drive? Where is the best place to buy a movement from? I know you can spend a lot of money on just the movement. I don't know yet what I want to spend but I don't have unlimited resources.

Andy Arhelger

Reply to
Andy Arhelger

If I really wanted it to keep time I would put a quartz clock in it and put a phony pendulum mechanism in there.

Reply to
gfretwell

Klockit is the one I remember. They're all pricey. Don't think there's any less than 300, and you can go way past a thousand. Googling on klockit should put it at the top of the page.

You can also google the rec for grandfather movements and come up with a list.

Reply to
else24

Both of which are sold by Klockit and others, for just that purpose.

Some places to look:

fredfighter

Old '50s or '60s books on clock _repair_ for the amateur. They explain the different mechanisms, and how quality/price can be varied by construction techniques. With a little of that knowledge, a lot of the commercial products become a lot clearer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley