clamping tip for kreg pocket hole jig needed

Bought the Rocket Jig by Kreg. Want to attach a 1/2" apron or board to the center of a 1-1/2" leg. How best to clamp this while putting the screws in? Mabey build up each side to equal the width of the leg? Thanks.

Reply to
Paul O.

The apron shift when tighting the screw is only one way; the screw will tend to become vertical. So only one side of the apron needs a block to keep the apron from moving. IMHO pocket screws are not the best for legs.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

If you put two pockets on each end to the leg I would use the kreg right angle clamp. It has a pad on one side and a pin that fits in the pocket.

Reply to
Jody

If you have a square sided leg and a straight apron, then the trick is to lay everything on the table. Have the apron running along the edge of the table and leg running across the table. Place the appropriate thickness of wood under the apron to raise it to the proper location.

For clamping you have several options. The trick is to keep the clamps out of the way of the screwing operation. I typically have two pockets in the apron so I make a caul, just a blank piece of 4/4 about 3 x3 and I stand it on edge, parallel to and between the two pockets with a clamp over it and under the edge of the table. I also typically setup both legs so I can also run a bar or pipe clamp from leg to leg in the same plane as the table over the top of the legs. Bessy's with long jaws work best to keep the legs pushed into the apron without wanting to splay out.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com