clamp problem

I have several Jorgensen hand screw clamps which I prefer to use if I can. One 3 inch clamp will not stay tight, but backs off just a little after I tighten it. Can that be fixed?

Jay Kellaway

Reply to
jkellaway

I suggest you cal the Adjustable Clamp company and ask them what they think. Then post your answer here. I built 4 wooden screw clamps several years ago and one of them does the same thing. Tighten it up and the handles automatically reverse and loosen.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
jkellaway

I had that happen to a handscrew where I let the screw get rusty; after I cleaned the rust off with steel wool and WD-40, it would loosen. It got better after I used some alcohol to clean the residual lubrication that WD-40 leaves behind.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Well thanks for reporting back, I'll try that too!

Reply to
Leon

Wow, throw me no with you two! A tip of the hat to both of you.

A few years ago I traded off my big Jorgensens for that very reason because I thought "the quality had gone to hell". I only have two small ones left.

Sounds like another case of operator error.

*** Note to self: Just remember Robert.... 5% smarter than the clamp is all it takes to master it.... ***

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Oh I just hate to say this, but those guys who have a clean shop with all the tools hung up, cleaned and polished don't have this kind of problem. Of course they probably don't build much of anything.

Soooooooo....., Clean and brush your clamps on a regular basis. Perhaps some flossing wouldn't hurt either. :)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I just came in from wire brushing mine and it did not help but not to give up easily I flooded the screw with acetone and wiped the screw with a paper towel, that worked.

Reply to
Leon

If you use a tooth brush, will the clamps have fresh, minty breath?

I keep losing my hair but getting lots more growing on my ears.. Mental Floss?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I have some Jorgensens that were my Dads, and my guess is they are older than me. They have never been cleaned and have been in use for over 60 years I reckon. I don't know zip about any quality change, but I have no complaints about these clamps, and hopefully won't have to floss them anytime soon:-)

Reply to
Jack Stein

You need a rinse. I use a mixture of green mouthwash and turpentine. And it tastes great. bloop, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn