clamp problem

I have several Jorgensen hand screw clamps which I prefer to use if I can. One 3 inch clamp will not stay tight, but backs off just a little after I tighten it. Can that be fixed?
Jay Kellaway

I suggest you cal the Adjustable Clamp company and ask them what they think. Then post your answer here. I built 4 wooden screw clamps several years ago and one of them does the same thing. Tighten it up and the handles automatically reverse and loosen.
I called the Adjustable Clamp company (312-666-0640) as suggested. "Jim" in customer service said that 99% of the time it is debris in the screws. He told me to close the clamp all the way, then wire-brush all of the exposed area of the screws. Then open the clamps all the way and brush the remainder of the area. I tried it. It worked. Thanks, Leon, for a good suggestion. It solved my problem. Jay

Well thanks for reporting back, I'll try that too!

Wow, throw me no with you two! A tip of the hat to both of you.
A few years ago I traded off my big Jorgensens for that very reason because I thought "the quality had gone to hell". I only have two small ones left.
Sounds like another case of operator error.
*** Note to self: Just remember Robert.... 5% smarter than the clamp is all it takes to master it.... ***
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I have some Jorgensens that were my Dads, and my guess is they are older than me. They have never been cleaned and have been in use for over 60 years I reckon. I don't know zip about any quality change, but I have no complaints about these clamps, and hopefully won't have to floss them anytime soon:-)
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Oh I just hate to say this, but those guys who have a clean shop with all the tools hung up, cleaned and polished don't have this kind of problem. Of course they probably don't build much of anything.
Soooooooo....., Clean and brush your clamps on a regular basis. Perhaps some flossing wouldn't hurt either. :)

If you use a tooth brush, will the clamps have fresh, minty breath?
I keep losing my hair but getting lots more growing on my ears.. Mental Floss?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

You need a rinse. I use a mixture of green mouthwash and turpentine. And it tastes great.     bloop,     jo4hn

I just came in from wire brushing mine and it did not help but not to give up easily I flooded the screw with acetone and wiped the screw with a paper towel, that worked.

I had that happen to a handscrew where I let the screw get rusty; after I cleaned the rust off with steel wool and WD-40, it would loosen. It got better after I used some alcohol to clean the residual lubrication that WD-40 leaves behind.