Circular Saw with Laser Line or Not?

Page 2 of 2

weft2 (in snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| questions are: is the laser guide saw better value for money, and | how much better (or worse) is the laser guide than a regular saw | with a plastic and metal guide line? I believe both these saws are | made in the US, though definitely the one I bought is, if that | makes any difference.
It's impossible to provide a meaningful answer withut knowing what you're planning to do with the saw. If you'll be using it for framing, you /might/ find the laser guide convenient - but if you'll be using it to cut parts for furniture, it probably won't be much help.
The last time I used my circular saw, I spent about five minutes with a digital depth gauge setting up a clamped aluminum saw guide to within +/- 0.0005" (the result was worth the trouble) - a level of accuracy just not obtainable using a "fat" laser line.
If you consider the work you'll be doing with the saw and look at the width of the laser line, you can probably draw your own conclusion as to whether or not the additional $20 in cost will provide $20 in benefits.

process drive by disallowed.
you gotta tell us what it is....
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| process drive by disallowed. | | you gotta tell us what it is....
Not if you disallow the drive-by :-D

it's disallowed unless you explain it a bit better. sorry if I was unclear...
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:24:43 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
| || snipped-for-privacy@all.costs (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) || said: || ||| process drive by disallowed. ||| ||| you gotta tell us what it is.... || || Not if you disallow the drive-by :-D | | it's disallowed unless you explain it a bit better. sorry if I was | unclear...
It's a gift. I guess I'll have to forgo the drive-by until the end of the year - but if I remember I'll post pictures then.
I have a fondness for making things so that you can only tell where the joints are by finding discontinuities in the grain - and the only way I seem able to make things come out that way is by working to what seem (even to me!) like unreasonable tolerances.
But even in my normal (work) day-to-day woodworking, cut tolerances of +/- 0.001 aren't uncommon. It's been at least 15 years since I used a circular saw without a carefully positioned and clamped guide. I do have a couple of lasers in my shop; but all of them produce "fat" lines and I'd guess that if the line were only 0.001" wide, I'd have trouble seeing it...
weft2 wrote:

I bough a cheaper Skil Saw with a laser. I don't use one a lot so it seemed a reasonable purchase for myself. I like the laser. I find it very easy to make sure I am cutting strait as long as the laser shines on the line I am cutting on. I'm sure someone with more skill would not need one, but for as for myself, I am very pleased with it. Just something to consider for your gift.
-Eric