circuit breaker requirement

Ditto on Rex's book. It is very clear, well written and has significant substantive detail explaining how, and more importantly, why things are done a certain way. I wired two shops from scratch using it.

Mutt

Reply to
Pig

Uh, Sorry Doug. While the 3 HP Unisaw comes with a plug and cord, the

5 HP does NOT. Delta said they left off the cord because they expect the 5 HP to be hard wired. He always had the option of taking the cord off and hard wiring the saw in any case.

I won't try to change your opinion about the merits of using a 40 amp breaker on #10 wire. Just check out the NEC, Section 430, Part D - Motor Banch-Circuit Short-Circuit and Ground-Fault Protection. Paragraph 430-52. The paragraph is specifically written to allow larger breakers for motors that draw high amps at startup.

All I ask is that you look it up before you shoot it down.

DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I can assure that when I changed to a new insurance company last year that the agent came out to take pictures of the 24 year old house and specifically asked if any wiring had been added or changed. Farm Bureau is the insurance company. The agent is officed in Stafford, Texas, south west side of Houston.

That address and telephone number is

345 Dulles Ave Suite E Stafford, TX 77477 (281) 403-2562
Reply to
Leon

Can't contest that Leon, because if you say it happened, then it did. I've never had that experience - for what ever that's worth. What I have been part of though - and the direction that I believe this thread was heading with Javier asked his question, is a lot of fire investigations. Lots of faulty wiring findings. Never saw a single claim denied because of it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

40 years of home ownership, a few different agents and insurance companies, no one has ever asked any questions or every looked at the house. Present insurer is The Hartford.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Aaah. I was unaware of that. In that case... it's Code-compliant.

Reply to
Doug Miller

This was the first time for me too however this insurance company is rated at about the top of the list of insurance companies as far as their ratings go. Very financially fit. Up until about a year ago I had never heard of Farm Bureau and their rates saved me a bundle on home and auto insurance with a 17 year old driver in the family. My father switched also and they came out and did the same pictures and questions with him too 6 months later.

Reply to
Leon

It was a first for me.

What I have been

I can say that I have never seen any fire claim either approved or denighed. Which raises the question, about some of the Katrina victims that lost their homes. I saw on the news that claims were beind denighed for homes that disappeared. It is obvious that the homes could have been easily blown away by seeing surrounding evidence however the insurance companies are claiming rising water washed them away and not paying because regular home owners insurance does not cover rising water. Apparently the benefit of doubt is not being given as to whether the house blew away first or if it floated away first.

Reply to
Leon

Which only proves that they are diligent in assessing their risk for underwriting purposes. They may also ask if you have a swimming pool, a dog, etc.

How many house fires do you see in the local news reports where the fire is attributed to "defective wiring." Ever follow up to see if the claims are paid? They are. In fact, you'll find that even claims arising out of fires where "suspicious origin" is indicated are paid.

Hell, they pay for those idiots who barbeque in the garage and set the garage on fire. Stupidity IS a compensable loss.

Peddle the insurance boogeyman elsewhere. It makes no sense to install wiring that is not up to code and safe but the fact that you do so without the specific intent to burn down your home or shop doesn't mean that your insurance company will not indemnify your loss.

Go find some cases where folks were denied coverage for their loss and bring it back. Since he's your agent and you had his phone number, maybe you could call him and ask him for some specifics that he's aware of. Should be a piece of cake, if it's not b.s.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

True however It would be short sighted to assume that if they found that the information that you give them to be wrong that they will still allow the claim.

I cannot say that I have heard of any fire claim being paid or denighed.

IIRC that falls under the definition of an accident.

Correct however there is no guarantee that the claim will not go the other way also.

When he questioned me about the wiring he specifically wanted to know if there had been breaker boxes added and if so had they been installed to code and inspected. I was a bit concerned because I had added some wiring myself. That was of no concern to him. Personally I have no doubts if mine and my fathers situation is BS or not. If you want, use the number I provided and let him answer your questions.

Reply to
Leon

That is exactly where I was going. I didn't call Leon's agent, I've no reason to doubt his experience happened as above.

But just as claims are paid for people who torch their houses by grilling in the garage, even though the grill was most likely labelled "outdoor use only", I'm willing to bet that claims would be paid for faulty wiring.

Sort of like someone plugging six power strips into one, then plug all sort of things into the outlets, and something eventually shorts out.

Consider that the permit thing is highly dependant on local regulations. When I lived in Salinas, CA, which is in Monterey County, I called both the city and the county when I was getting ready to wire the garage (I added a subpanel, half a dozen brakers, and a bunch of outlets). Both told me the same thing... no permits required since I was the homeowner and doing the work for myself.

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson