Chopping board materials???

Hi, does anyone know if Merbau is suitable for chopping boards?
Pat
No idea, but if can correctly predict a question you'll have later, you'll want Behlen Salad Bowl Finish near the end of the project. :-) Do a google search. The only dealer I'm aware of is a fancy woodworking place in NYC, but I haven't checked in years.

Do a google search: "salad bowl finish" yes in quotes, it's all over the 'net. Including links for Behlen.
Alex

Personally, I use a 50 tooth industrial Amana combo blade for chopping boards.
off to google I go to find out who makes these Merbau blade thingies...
This website: http://www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm lists merbau (indexed as kwila) as causing dermatitis and rhinitis. I don't think the latter is an issue because I think its a problem caused by breathing the dust. Dermatitis is obviously more of an issue -- if something causes dermatitis it might not do nice things to the inside of your body. On the other hand, this website http://www.wflooring.com/Technical_Info/Species_Tech_Info/Species_Pages/merbau.htm says "Safety/Allergic Reaction Issues: none known at this time."
If you get to the stage of being interested in how to finish the board, and if you haven't already made up your mind, you might want to check out the "Tung Oil for Cutting Board" thread that was started yesterday.
- Bruce

Thank you
Pat

* * * Probably the worst choice imaginable PvR