Chisels

Page 1 of 2
I bought a set of Irwin Marples (Blue Chip/Bevel edged) chisels a while back. Supposedly, they can be used with mallet as well as by hand.
Assume I wish to do M & T joinery in soft wood.
I just noticed some Norex "mortising chisels" on sale (5 for $45) and was curious whether they would offer me something more that I need, or whether they would be redundant for my current purposes.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Bill
Bill wrote:

What size mortises? If they're deep and or narrow, the mortising chisel can make life somewhat easier (of course, so can a chain or chisel mortiser... :) ).

Yep, they take a licking and keep on ticking. I even use - don't tell anyone! - a hammer sometimes.

No problem.

This is a no-brainer. It's not my money, and someone is asking me if they need more tools... Yes!
I believe your mean Narex, right? The Marples Blue Chip are an all purpose chisel. A dedicated mortise chisel is superior for tough chopping and deeper holes, but not as good for all around bench work. Since you already have the Marples, start knocking some holes. If they're sharp you shouldn't have any problem in soft wood.
On 11/2/2010 2:39 PM, RicodJour wrote: The Marples Blue Chip are an all

That's just the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you!
Bill
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 15:01:30 -0400, Bill wrote:

If you ever should decide you need mortise chisels, be sure to get the real ones. There are a lot of light duty "sash mortise" chisels out there. The heavy ones keep getting harder to find. Here's a site with a good picture - just page down to the "Robert Sorby Heavy Mortice Chisels".
http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_mortice.htm

Or for you Lee Valley enthusiasts, their Sorby chisels which are the same as the ones on the link above, but cheaper, surprisingly enough. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p0010&cat=1,41504,41533
Upscale wrote:

They are drool-worthy.. I will keep them in mind.
Bill

No. The Best Things Sorby Heavy Mortice chisels are stouter than the Lee Valley Sorby Registered Mortise chisels. They are definitely not the same chisels. Ones heavy duty, ones medium duty.

I stand corrected.

Or some heavier ones -- classic "pig-stickers" made with modern steel: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=MS-MORT.XX&Category_Code=TBMC
But for just learning mortising, I'd vote for the smaller investment of the Narex set Bill cited.

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 23:16:12 -0400, alexy wrote:

Wow! I wish those had been around when I bought my Sorbys. Now I'm jealous. Those are definitely the best mortise chisels I've ever seen.
I had thought of mentioning old pigstickers to the OP, but they aren't that easy to find. Now we have a modern equivalent.

Lie Nielsen makes mortising chisels too. JP
On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:26:15 -0700, Mark Whittingham wrote:

Yes they do. And they look just as good as my Sorbys. But they're not pigstickers.

As a couple of others have said, you CAN cut the mortises with the Marples, and if you expect to do that only very infrequently, then go for it. However, the mortise chisel is designed specifically for -- guess what? And it will do a much better job.
One of its advantages is stoutness, which some have mentioned -- prying out waste with a 1/4" mortise chisel is a lot different from prying it out with a 1/4" general purpose bench chisel.
I think the biggest advantage to a mortise chisel is its profile, which practically forces you to cut a rectangular mortise once started correctly. (You can't see it in the pictures, but these have a tiny amount of taper, which reduces jamming.) So I'd say go for the LV deal (but then again, you are not using my credit card).

In a nit-picking mood I once gave thought to the value of this taper and the way a chisel prccesses along the mortise.
For folk who are interested in fine points of technique, the outcome is at http://tinyurl.com/2w49f7w
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

Mortising chisels will make cutting mortises easier (but not necessarily easy... take your time). A good set of waterstones are a great investment for both your Marples and the prospective mortising chisels -- and look at the Veritas honing guide for proper sharpening. http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/veritasmkIIhoningguide.htm
Sharp chisels speed the work and improve the accuracy of the cuts.
Steve wrote:

Looks like a handy tool. In the meantime, I've got a granite block, a simpler honing guide, and $40 or so worth of wet & dry. I'm looking forward to getting on with it (which in my own way I sort of am). I plan to install some fluorescent lights soon.
Bill

It crushes too easily for my tastes. Sharpness of the chisel is key.

Atta Boy, Bill. ScarySharp(tm) is where it's at. Just about any honing guide will work well...once you know what it's doing and figure out how to make it do that. Simply pay attention to detail.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

I've dovetailed plywood and soft cedar... and it's VERY challenging. Oak, on the other hand, with a sharp chisel, is easy. Do your chisel work in hard wood first, you might graduate to the soft stuff eventually.