Check the site of this craftsman

I saw an ad for this rocking chair in New Yorker magazine. I have no affiliation to the company.

Click on his extensive website. Be sure to check out his pages on how the furniture is designed, built and finished. I find his dedication to craftsmanship refreshing.

Ian Dodd

Yup, that's a cool site... dunno if I'd pay $1600+ for a rockin chair but it's very nice work.

Reply to
wch

(Wimberley, TX). Nice to see someone with such obvious dedication to doing things the right way get some recognition.

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) And notice that on his bio page he is shown using a smoothing plane.

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Well, maybe you wouldn't, but apparently others would and do. Somewhere on his site he talks about the business of being a furnituremaker and he discusses his early days when he couldn't charge enough to cover his time (the case for most woodworkers who sell, I suspect) and the evolution of his pricing to the point where he can sustain a business that employs several like-minded folks. I applaud him and appreciate that his clientele allow him to do this.

I recently met a furnituremaker (his 3rd grader is in my wife's class) who has gotten into a very high end niche. I can't say as I like all of his stuff but some I do and I wonder how much of it is client-driven vs. personal taste. But he admits that he has been very fortunate with falling in with the Hollywood crowd as clients. He recently delivered an entertainment unit priced at $40K! That affords him the luxury of supporting a family by doing nothing but high quality work, an enviable position. For his stuff, click on (and, again, no affiliation other than a social acquaintence):

Ian Dodd

Hey, if people pay it, then charge it! My former high school art teacher quit teaching to to woodworking full time. He was getting $10k for a bedroom set because his work was quality.

Reply to
wch

Each to his own. There are many instances in which I like stain.

Reply to
John

You might also like this site, in The Austin TX area

Reply to
Leon