Check out my Legs! (w/pics)

Reply to
tom

Very nice, and ingenious use of the tools you have available. Please post pics when you have a dry fit ready. I'm looking forward to seeing the assembly together.

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Nice "red" foot on the end fo the tapered leg.

So uh the dust collector is still not working out for yuh? :~)

Reply to
Leon

Hello everyone,

I have not had a chance to work on my kitchen table for a while, today I got back at it.

I wanted to taper the legs, but I wasn't sure how much to taper them. I laid out various tapers with painters tape and settled on one that I liked.

am not sure why, but I decided to mortise the legs for the skirt before I tapered the legs. I cannot believe how much I had to lean on the mortiser to cut a 1/2" mortise in ash.

the legs are 4" and my table saw only cuts 3" and a bit, I settled on a two step method for tapering the legs.

First I rough cut the taper on my bandsaw.

I made a jig to run the legs through my planer. I bashed the jig together from 1/2" melamine and narrow crown staples. The leg sits in a channel with a stop at one end and 1-1/2" foot at the other. The leg tapers

1-1/4" and the 1-1/2" foot was the exact height to get the taper I wanted.

can see the four legs done.

hope to mill up the stock for the apron and start on it next week.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

I've used a jointer to smooth out the taper on a table leg after rough cutting with the band saw.

todd

Reply to
todd

snip

Makes the case for loose tenon M&T joinery. Plunge router, upcut spiral bit, and edge guide and some stops. Half inch or 3/4" baltic birch ply ripped to width, edges rounded over on a router table and just cut off what you need. No dado blade, no nibbling - SO much easier.

Question - how the hell do you plan to move this thing once it's all together?

(You really need to taper off the steroids)

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

But if you had a jig and used the planer it would give you a consistent dimension Mike M

Reply to
Mike M