Check out my chest! :^]

Page 1 of 2
Cherry with ebony inlay and a cedar bottom (floor?). Solid cherry panels. My own design. Let me know what you think.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Blanket_Chest.htm
"GarageWoodworks" wrote:

Nice work.
Lew

Nice design as well as the construction.
Really nice design and a great looking build.
What finish?
How did you do the inlay work?

The finish is sprayed poly (hvlp). The cedar has no finish to allow the aroma to come alive. The inlay was done using a router fence attachment and two shims of equal width. Add both shims rout, remove a shim etc.
Thank you!
GarageWoodworks wrote:

The title makes one do a double-take.
However, the chest looks great. Really like the inlay. Nice design.

Rob Leatham

subtle play on words! :^)
thank you.

Very nice. I like that kind of style.

Thank you!
Robatoy wrote:

Me too. Nice and clean and looks flawlessly executed. The inlay is a wonderful touch. I'd be very proud of something like that. I assume you are.
When you were designing, did you have thoughts of lining the three sides with cedar as well?
Tanus

It's beautiful!
Thanks, Bill

No. Interesting idea though.
Thank you.

Two comments...
It looks good. I really like the design and little details you added to it.
This is the sort of thing that I do not dare show my wife!
Nice job! Do you call that Arts & Crafts, with a Japanese persuasion style?

Thanks. I thought it had a bit of a Japanese feel too. A little mix of A&C, G&G and Japan? :^|

Absolutely beautiful design and execution. Neat part about cherry is it will just keep getting better with time.
RonB
On 8/9/2009 7:26 PM GarageWoodworks spake thus:

Well, since you asked, very nice. But one small nit: too bad the front panels are several pieces glued up. Would have been nice to have single pieces of wood there (but maybe hard to find anything that wide).

Let's see that! I'm an ass man. ;)
nb
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:26:46 -0700 (PDT), GarageWoodworks

Really nice. But aren't you going to stain it?
(ducking and hiding under the bench)
Paul F.
On 8/10/2009 5:07 PM Paul Franklin spake thus:

I think it'll look really nice once it starts to amber up in the years to come.