Cheap alternative to Krazy Glue

Page 1 of 2
I'm making multiple small items and would need hundreds of clamps (literally) to hold everything in place while the glue sets. I tried Titebond II (I need some water repelency) but the set time was too long, the glue expanded and the bond was too thick/uneven. I then tried Krazy Glue (Gel Craft Type) and it worked perfectly. The only problem is Krazy Glue is very expensive ($3/ 2gm = .14oz) and I have no data to indicate what the bond will do over time. I've read second hand accounts that the Krazy Glue becomes brittle. The parts being glued are non-moving and I don't want them to be flexible but I'm uncertain whether some level of flexibility is desirable to account for wood expansion. That said, does anyone know of any readily available, cheap alternatives to Krazy Glue? I know Krazy Glue is CA but I'm leary of trying a total generic from the dollar store. I need a quick (nearly immediate) set and flow control (can't use sprays).
Thanks in advance.
"Chrisgiraffe" wrote:

Contact cement or a good quality double back tape such as 3M offers.
Lew
Thu, Nov 29, 2007, 9:49pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chrisgiraffe) doth query: <snip> That said, does anyone know of any readily available, cheapalternatives to Krazy Glue? <snip>
A couple of brads until the glue sets.
JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

You probably should avoid the total generic from the dollar store. I don't get good results from the cheap generic super glues, but the higher cost and quality ones are worth their cost.
This might be a good question to ask at one of your local hobby shops. Take a look at the yellow pages or hobbyretailer.com (not a plug, just a occasional visitor) for one.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

Try your favorite search engine using "superglue bulk".
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

Go to a hobby shop that sells radio control airplanes, you can buy CA (the generic term for Krazy Glue)glue in containers as large as 8 oz. You can also choose between thin, medium, thick, and gel consistencies, as well as special blends for different materials.
CA glues should outlast us. I have 15+ year old model airplanes that have been baked in the sun, frozen, vibrated by engines, stressed by ugly landings and high-G maneuvering, and soaked with oil and methanol, that show no signs of glue failure.
"B A R R Y" wrote

Above is good advice and about all the OP needs.
Additionally, and in many instances, I've found that CA glues will also work for "after the fact" gluing of small woodworking parts that have already been finished where traditional woodworking glues would not bond.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/16/07

I forgot to mention...
1.) CA can cure in the bottle over time, and when exposed to moisture. Don't buy TOO much! When I was using a lot of it, I never kept for than a 3 month supply handy, and kept it tightly capped.
2.) CA can be set up instantly by breathing moist breath or dusting baking soda on the wet glue.
3.) Your body can get progressively more sensitive to CA fumes. Use proper ventilation.

Do you refrigerate you glue? I have a bottle of "super glue" that has set in my refrigerator when not being used for at least 10 years and is good every time I use it.
"Leon" asked us

Do you keep it next to the mayonaise?
I can see a potential problem here.
Honey, can I keep a bottle of this highly toxic glue next to your prized peppers?
Hmmmm..., maybe if I find the right way to present it.
Hmmmmm...
Lee Michaels wrote:

CA is not "highly toxic". A relative is used in surgery and people have been using it for a quick and dirty band-aid for ages (it works fine, despite dire predictions of disaster from those who have never tried it). The main danger with CA is that it bonds moist tissue very rapidly, so you can glue your fingers together (which is annoying but not disastrous) or glue your eyelids to your eyes (which requires surgical intervention and may result in permanent eye damage).
But if it's really that much of an issue get a beer fridge for the shop.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

I seem to remember something about it being invented as a field suture in Vietnam.
Of course, that also may be an urban legend, but it sounds good... <G>
B A R R Y wrote:

Urban legend. Eastman 910 was on the market in the '50s--the inventor appeared on the "I've Got a Secret" TV show in 1959--his secret was Eastman 910. The surgical variant came along later, but reportedly was tested in Vietnam--FDA approval didn't come until _much_ later. Now you can buy cyanocrylate based wound closures at most pharamacies--Band-Aid sells one.
The medical variant has slightly different chemistry, mainly aimed at reducing heat buidup during cure (which also means that it doesn't cure in 30 seconds) and at reducing irritation.
--John
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:54:06 -0500, "J. Clarke"

I had this used on me during my heart surgery... now if they could do anything about the SMELL!
Bob the Tomato wrote:

Kind of late to the thread, but Cyanoacrylate was invented during WWII by some the gentleman referenced above at Kodak (hence the Eastman name). He was working on adhesives to hold lenses together and found this formulation. During his experimentation, he tried it and was unable to de-bond the lenses he adhered together. At the time, in his mind this was a dismal failure and he and others were very unhappy with the fact that not only did the adhesive not work as they wanted, but they had also ruined some very expensive and important optics. Another one of those "out of the ashes" stories.

Snip

Toxic or not, you are going to be in a jam if you glue your moth shut. LOL
Leon wrote:

and teeth. We rushed her to the ER in a state of semi-panic, not letting her close her mouth. The ER workers thought it was kind of funny, and just applied petroleum jelly to fix the problem.

Whoa, Leon...did you just invent a cure for politicianitis?
On Nov 30, 10:08 am, "Lee Michaels"

Whatever you do..... do NOT store next to the peanut butter. Any cross- contamination and the stuff will REALLY stick to the roof of your mouth...I'm tellin' ya!
Leon wrote:

I did for a while, but had it go both ways, so I stopped.