chair joint question

I have made chairs and repaired many also, the purists always use mortise and tenons, for the most part I use dowels.
Regarding the front leg joints using mortise and tenons results in so much material being removed that this is a primary failure area . Using a combination , dowels and M&T seems to me to offer advantages, less material removed and the double dowel if done last locks the tenon in ...
Any thoughts on the matter ???? mjh
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2
Mike,
I have made a few chairs as well. Some with dowels and most with MT joints. I generally make the decision based on the type of stress the joint will endure. If its purely sheer, I opt for dowels. If it has to endure other forces, like twist, or opposing pressure, like the front leg of a chair has, I choose MT joints.
Dave

material