central vac and dust collection

Instead of buying a central vac system and a dust collection system is there anyway to do both with one unit.

Reply to
mark

Not to be practical. You are compromising both. One is high velocity lower volume, the other is high volume at a lower velocity.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

=============================== You have two entirely different fuctions involved..although both invole moving air.... Vacs move a low volume of air BUT move it at high velocity...IT SUCKS Dust Collectors on the other hand move a high volume of air but at a low velocity....in otherwords the do NOT suck ...or at least not nearly as well as Vacs....so doing both with a single unit will compromise both operations...

I do run a DC....BUT I also installed the borgs 1 1/2 inch clear "pipe" and those little orange blast gates to my regular shop vac and ran the pipes on the ceiling so that I have a blast gate located somewhere in the shop that allows a single 8 foot hose and an hard extention (or two) to reach everywhere in the shop...

Actually works darn good... I did play around by trying to connect the Borgs pipe system to the DC but gave up...way too much restriction and almost zero suction unless I use the one Blast gate that is very close to the DC ..

Cost of the extra "Central Vac system" excluding the Vac I already owned was under a xouple of hundred bucks...and it is a real time saver and a joy to use since I do not have to drag the vac all over the place just grab a hose and plug it into a close by blast gate ... PS I can reach all the machine tops, work bench ect by only using the standard vac hose...only need the extensions is I want to vac the floor ...(broom works better hen that is needed anyway)...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G

Plus, do you really want to hear a massive 220V motor firing up every time you go to sweep or vacuum?

If you CAN do it right, you won't save any money. We have both in the new house, and neither one is terribly expensive.

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

How can you be high velocity without being high volume?

Reply to
dnoyeB

Narrower bandwith, so to speak.

Think of it as the difference between an air compressor and a leaf blower.

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Yea, thats what I imagined. But thats a pressure vs. volume tradeoff.

I would imagine a shopvac has high pressure, but overall low volume. So if you put a really small nozzle on it, the velocity will go way up, and if you put a really big nozzle on it, the velocity will drop very quickly.

I would imagine a dust collector has low pressure but overall high volume. So if you put a really small nozzle on it, the velocity wont go up as much as shopvac, and it will just be getting chocked off. If you put a really big nozzle on it, the velocity wont drop as fast as a shopvac.

I have never had one to test though.

Joe Tylicki wrote:

Reply to
dnoyeB