Celtic Designs

When my wife and I got married a not quite a year and a half ago, while moving her in with me the music stand on her piano was damaged by the movers. My next project is to make a new one, and I don't want to just trace the old one, it's boring. What I'd like to do is fill the area inside the stand with the Celtic weave of infinity (she is of Irish ancestry), I've been snatching pics from web, but was wondering if anyone here had line drawings of ones they had used before. I'd be interested in any Celtic designs.
Mike Watch for the bounce. If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it. If ya see it, it didn't go off. Old Air Force Munitions Saying
Add pictures here
βœ–
asmurff wrote:
| I've been snatching pics from | web, but was wondering if anyone here had line drawings of ones | they had used before. I'd be interested in any Celtic designs.
I don't have the drawings you're looking for, but have seen a web site with (free) downloadable software to _generate_ these designs. The bookmark I saved didn't survive a Win/ME crash, but I remember finding the site using Google.
βœ–
Morris Dovey wrote: | asmurff wrote: | || I've been snatching pics from || web, but was wondering if anyone here had line drawings of ones || they had used before. I'd be interested in any Celtic designs. | | I don't have the drawings you're looking for, but have seen a web | site with (free) downloadable software to _generate_ these designs. | The bookmark I saved didn't survive a Win/ME crash, but I remember | finding the site using Google.
Found it! It's at http://www.abbott.demon.co.uk/knots.html .
βœ–
Morris that is a very interesting looking program, I've forwarded it to my wife she is a Celtic Knot Nut.
Mike Watch for the bounce. If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it. If ya see it, it didn't go off. Old Air Force Munitions Saying

Add pictures here
βœ–

Dover Publications has a lot of clip art books and coloring books (yes, they are a source of line art) and probably some clip art CDs.
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?follow-pro=1&vwcatalog=doverpublications&catalog=doverpublications&query Ξltic
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sounds like a cool project. I don't have any Celtic designs to offer.
I'd love to see how this turns out.
Good luck!
Add pictures here
βœ–
There is a book by Glenda Bennett, called "Celtic Woodworking Projects", ISBN 9781861083722. You might find it in your library or buy it from a book store. You could probably google the book title or look it up on e-bay. Hope this helps.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks for all the good ideas, I stumbled on a design I like late last night, it might have been at Dover's site. Barnes & Noble has the book you mentioned Barry and I believe I'll get it for future projects. Thanks again all and I'll put some pictures here after it is all done.
Mike Watch for the bounce. If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it. If ya see it, it didn't go off. Old Air Force Munitions Saying

Add pictures here
βœ–
Not sure if its the same book but I saw one similar to that on celtic stuff at Woodcraft yesterday..
--
Rich Harris

"asmurff" < snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net> wrote in message
βœ–
FYI - The book referenced below is available from 15 of the 20 listed retailers from AllBookstores at the following URL:
http://www.allbookstores.com/book/compare/1861083726
Hope this information will be helpfull to you.

message
Add pictures here
βœ–

Depending on how you are with drawing, there is a really superlative book on constructing Celtic knotwork designs published by Dover; it is called 'Celtic art, its methods of construction' by George Bain http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN9780486229232&itm=1
Add pictures here
βœ–
I've been following this thread. You might want to ask the wife if she wants the Celtic design, or wants it the way it was. I'm always getting birdhday and Xmas presents because some 'knows' I'd like what ever. And usually I don't.
If she likes the idea, and I was doing it, I'd stick with the web. See something you like,. print it. Then go thru everything later, and pick you just what you want. Me, I can sketch freehand, so I'd probably just do that. But it's easy enough to copy to size using a Xerox machine. I do that sometimes too. There's sooo very much stuff on the web, it's actually sometimes hard to find someting I like, simply because there's so much stuff to sort thru.
I'm in the midst of a couple of major research searches just now. One woodworking related, the other not For the woodworking, once I get several designs I really like, or more realistically, severl I want to take a bit from one, a bit from another, and so on, and combine all of them, and wind up with a design I like, but that doesn't look much like anything I started with. One one of my designs, believe I used about 15 printed pages, and sombined bits from each. But if you want books, I'd say start at your local library, and come local bookstores - because no matter how appealing someone makes a specific book sound, you'll never really know if you actually like the book or not, until you've got in in your hands, and thumb thru it. That's why I no longer allow people to buy books for me, unless I've told them before hand what I would like.
βœ–
Oh believe me she'll be asked about any design be for I ever do more than draw. She likes the sketches I've done so far, but she will have final approval.
Yes the web weeding as I call it has produced numerous pictures and designs which I'm saving and a few designs are taking shape in my head and sketches.
As for me picking up a book either at the store or library, that is the norm around here, I love to read. Usually for something like this I'd try the library first and then buy the book with what I want or need in it.
--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
βœ–
Sat, Sep 22, 2007, 8:31am (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net (asmurff) doth sayeth: <snip> As for me picking up a book either at the store or library, that is the norm around here, I love to read. Usually for something like this I'd try the library first and then buy the book with what I want or need in it.
I don't use the librqry as much as I used to; I've got a pretty extensive library of my own. Uually I buy at my favorite used bookstore, lots of variety, lots of out-of-print books. New books, I find the best price on-line, buy that way, NOT from a new bookstore - even including postage, I normally get them for less. However, I do not buy any book, new or used, unless: ONE, i have already thumbed thru a copy somewhere; or, TWO, know absolutely it is a book I definitely want. Works for me.
βœ–
Hmm, possible this posting will show up twice.
[...]

Learn how to construct them yourself. It's not too hard, it fits in with existing design shapes far better than trying to stretch clip-art to fit, and there are any number of design books on the subject.
Most of all though, true knotwork has several rules to follow. It's continuous, there's only ever one loop, not two. and there are no ends. Also a few other variable rules, depending on age, place, and whether it has "gripping beasts" or "beard-pullers" in it (it should have!).
If you know these rules beforehand, it's easy to follow them. If you don't, then the knotwork is flawed. And one day you _will_ lern the rules, and from then on looking at it will subtly annoy you every time you see it. As it does when you see most commercial fake-knot designs.
Add pictures here
βœ–