Cathedral door templates

I'm a novice at making cabinet doors and need to make the cathedral type. I made a template of the top rail of an existing door and thought the panel template would follow the same curve. I was surprised to see that when I move the rail template down to the panel on the existing door, it does not match up. Are the templates curves different for rails and panels?
Neal wrote:

Yes, the portion of the panel that fits into the grove of the rail has to be taken into account.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA