Carving tool question

Fellow Woodchucks- I have to make a 1/8" to 3/16" channel about 3/8" deep and can't use power tools because I'd damage some adjacent metal, so am looking into using a carving gouge. If you use an outside bevel gouge, you can't go any deep- er than the tool because the size of the groove you're making is the inside diameter of the blade, right? So I'm wondering how small an inside bevel gouge you can buy, cause the honing would get pretty dicey. Could anyone here give me some good carving tool sources on the net? Thanks.
Bub,
You may get some better answers over at rec.crafts.carving

Well, you can go as deep as you care to with a veiner or a spaghetti tool, though you will have to limit the chip on any given pass.
You might consider a scratch stock of some sort as well.

You can get veiners that are 1/8 across. But they are not 3/8 inch "tall". But if you work hard at it you may get that deep. Perhaps dragging a small scorp and working your way down, would be another approach. I am thinking of the round kind. Oh and if you can start with something smaller, go to the depth you want, then redo it to the finished width you desire.
John
BUB 209 wrote:

I think you might be looking for a marcaroni tool,turn this ] 90 degrees and thats what the xsection looks like . Sources ! henry talor, ashly isles and probably some of the swiss and german knock offs.
-- mike hide

Look for a Pfeil instead of the Henry Taylor. The Henry Taylor need sharpening, not just honing , the Pfeil are ready to use, or leave hesitation marks on your wrists if you carelessly reach for one on the back row. Joe healing well, thank you.