Carving question#2: wood checking

I've had tree removal services cut a few pieces of local wood from their jobsites for carving. These are usually pieces of large limbs or trunks .. . a foot or so in diameter. The pieces usually begin checking within a few days. Any advice for this problem? Are there species of local (southern US) woods that are more amenable to air drying with less checking?
You absolutely MUST seal the end grain as soon as possible after cutting to reduce the checking. Woodcraft sells end grain sealer--which is the best. It's an wax emulsion.
I've used latex exterior paint, but it only holds up for 6 moths at most. It's better than nothing.
Old Guy