Can you identify this chair

Hi guys and dolls Can you identify this chair? I know that it is pre- 1948. That is it.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Perreaux

That was great - here is where you can find the pic of the chair.

Ed Perreaux

Made by the Blind Fugly Brothers, sometime just after WW1 at a guess.

Arms look bandsawn, rather than drawknifed, and is that flat back made of pressed plywood ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Looks older than mid-20th century. Maybe Victorian with a touch of Eastlake... The paw feets and what appears to be a bookmatched veneer on the upper back lead me in that direction. I dunno - maybecouldbe of east Asian origin with the style of paw carving and heavy quality to the arms.

I like it, by the way, Fugly Bros or not.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I can see why the reference to Asian origins but having a leather covered back and most likely a leather seat - I doubt it came from the far east but would agree it has an Asian influence.

Look close for a makers mark - bottom of rails and even on the feet. Take some mineral spirits and clean those areas (lightly) to see if you can see any stamps, icon symbols etc. that may give a clue as to it's origins. I live in an area where there are a lot of dealers and antique shows and can't remember ever seeing anything close to that style. It's a chair designed to be in one place and not moved

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

My eyes! My eyes!

Reply to
patrick conroy

Now you know how the Fugly Brothers went blind !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:29:03 -0800, the inscrutable Fly-by-Night CC spake:

Not just ugly, BFU.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That is a Pullman chair. Made for private railroad cars around 1910. You can tell by the rich Corinthian upholstery as documented by the Montelbahn Gallery. If you had 3 more and the matching table, you'd be sitting on a fortune. Actually, you'd be sitting with your ass on the floor wondering who just fed you this line of shit.

Reply to
Robatoy

That's not a chair, that's a portable biffy. Dig a hole in the ground, place said object over top, and let 'er rip. Comes in handy when you're planting corn out in the back 40.

Reply to
mp

That wasn't me but a resident smartass taking advantage of the fact that I was on the phone away from my computer. I hate it when that happens.

Reply to
mp

My greatgrandparents had a room full of very similar pieces--several chairs and a sofa--black leather, wood was probably mahogany. They built and furnished their house in the early- to mid- 1920s, IIRC. I'd look for something from that era. Sorry I don't know more about the chair.

Dan

Reply to
d.kessell