can you identify this old tool?

I dug this up and have no clue as to what it may be:

RBM

Not a tool. It is a fitting that went on each end of a 'single tree'. The 'traces' or 'tugs' were attached to to it when hitching up.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The pictures are very dark on my monitor, and I can't get a good look at the hook end, but I think it's some sort of yoke hardware. A pole is slipped through the ring and the load is attached to the hook. Whether it's meant for two men or two oxen would depend on its size.

RicodJour

singletree hitch

I don't believe this is a singletree hitch. Here is a picture of a singletree hitch.

tnom

Pure guess here, if it has to be a tool, then I would guess a 'log roller'.

Example:

Just a SWAG,

tom @

Tom The Great

That's a cant hook. My idea was more along these lines:

RicodJour

It has been about 45 years since I have seen one. I agree that it is part of a hitch whether from a single or not I can't really say.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

The thing is pretty small, end to end around six inches, the sleeve that a pole may go through is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and is tapered

Reply to
RBM

My vote would be for a spreader. Similar to a singletree, but used when butchering farm animals. The animals rear legs would go through the loops and the pin would pierce between tendon and bone. Then the spreader would raise the animal off the ground for butchering.

Reply to
en30303

That is a distinct possibility. I only attended one butchering as child and was sheltered from most of it. So I have never seen one up close.

Those darn cracklings were right tasty. I don't think I will ever forget just how tasty fresh fried pig skin really was. Makes the stuff in the bag taste like month old bread. :)

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

S wrote in news:451FEB98.9030700 @adelphia.net:

That's what I thought as soon as I saw it. They come in different configurations, but the old round wooden singletrees had one of these at each end. Brings back memories...

Here's a web page with one illustrated near the bottom.

Morvin

Reply to
Morvin Stayner

We just used a single tree. Perfect lenght to spread the legs just the right distance.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

If you were familiar with farming and horses you would know it is a single tree hitch. They came in different shapes, but all served the same purpose to hitch the horse to the vehicle. Jack

Reply to
Jack

Agreed but the picture is only a component of a singletree hitch. The wooden extention is missing.

Reply to
tnom

What would the wooden extension do? or what would it attach to?

Reply to
RBM

I could not find the picture I wanted to post but this one will do.

The small one in B&W. The horse's butt is in the South position. The tool to be pulled is in the North position. The part depicted in the first post in this thread is the metal part at the end (E & W) of the wooden stick.

The harness the horse is wearing is attached to the hooks at the end of the stick. The big hook in the middle is attached to the item being pulled.

This illustration is a single tree. One horse doing all the work. A double tree is just two of these in tandem using two horses,

It has been a long time since I have seen a horse pull a plow. :)

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks, I get it now. When you were talking about a "single tree hitch" I'm thinking something to tie the horse to a tree. Why not just "tie the horse to the tree"

Reply to
RBM