can't hook ROS up to Fein vacuum

Help, please. I have a Porter Cable 333 ROS. The dust port is 1.00" OD. I want to connect it to my Fein vacuum, which excels at dustfree sanding. However, the Fein has a step connector with a smallest ID diameter of

1.1875" (1 3/16") and shy of 1.375" (1 3/8") for the OD on that step. The Fein connector fits loosely on the ROS and frequently falls off. Short of duct tape to hold it on, where can I find the correct adapter or elegant fix for this problem? PC's adapter is 1.5" to 2.5", so it won't fit.

BTW, I was at the IWF show and asked the Fein guys about this. The smart ass marketing guy said "tell Porter Cable to modify the diameter of their dust port". I asked the PC guys, and they pointed me to the 1.5" to 2.5" adapter they sell, which of course won't fit the Fein vacuum hose.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
bob

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:43:04 -0500, "bob" wrote: A piece of 1" auto heater hose worked perfect.

-- John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John, in MN

I have the same sander, and a Fein vacuum. I didn't even try the adapters, since they seemed way to expensive for what they did. I solved it by making my own adapter, and it only took a few minutes. I made a block of wood, roughly cylindrical, with a diameter larger than the vacuum hose. It was about 3 inches long. I used a forstner to drill a hole into the end of the cyclinder, so the vacuum hose end fit inside it. I went halfway through. Then I drilled from the other end halfway with a smaller hole so the sander's "tube" fit inside. I don't rememeber which forstners I used, but its a normal set of bits (not metric or anything). This has worked pretty well for quite some time. Both the sander's tube, and the vacuum hose are tapered, so it stays on fine. As long as the cylinder you start with isn't too big, it doesn't get too annoying while sanding.

Reply to
asdf fdsa

I have the same sander and same shop vac. One day at Woodcraft I noticed that Fein makes a stepped adaptor. I bought two (one for the sander and one for the biskwik joiner). It works perfectly though you do have to hose clamp it.

The Fein machine is a great machine. The guys who designed it and sell it are Eurotrash dick heads. I mean, they make an adapter but for some reason they can't tell you about it?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Lowes and Home Depot both sell a universal "step adapter" that allows damn near anthing to anything using hose clamps. You just cut off what you need.

bob wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber