Can MDF be planed down?

I am in need of MDF in a thickness of 1 5/16". All that the home centers have is either 3/4" or 1/2" thick boards. The width will be about a foot. Can a cabinet shop plane down one of the 3/4" thick pieces so that when I glue the two pieces together I come up with 1 5/16"? Is MDF easy to plane or can it even be planed? Thanks.
I'm not sure how much it will cost you to have it planed - I do know I'd never put it through my own surface planer unless I was ready to throw the knives away (or resharpen them right away).
Why don't you just modify the design by 1/16" and face glue a 3/4" piece to a 1/2" piece? I have seen 1/4" MDF before, too, but that won't really help you for this application.
If you can't/won't modify the design, then could you get away with sandwiching a piece of 1/16" wood between the two MDF sheets?
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Yes, but the surface will be rather poor. If there's any lack of parallelism in the thicknesser bed and cutter head, then the quality will be really poor.
Tool wear will be high, but it's OK for a one-off.
-- Smert' spamionam

Yup. I've planed it down when I needed a thinner substrate for veneering. Once it gets below about 5/16" it starts getting chewed up though.
I'd change to poplar for this project.
--
Rumpty

Be prepared to sharpen and sharpen If you can locate someone with a drum sander you would be better off. Otherwise modify something either plans or materials
--
Young Carpenter