Can I get some opinions of my work?

I am fairly new to woodworking, I guess a novice would be the appropriate term. I made some outdoor furniture and was wondering if some of you that have been doing it for a while can give me your opinions?

can take criticism, but try not to be too harsh, haha. Thanks , Ferg

Reply to
C F

I am fairly new to woodworking, I guess a novice would be the appropriate term. I made some outdoor furniture and was wondering if some of you that have been doing it for a while can give me your opinions?

can take criticism, but try not to be too harsh, haha.

Your prices are _very_reasonable. I predict that you will be swamped with orders if you keep this up. Tom

Reply to
tom

Rounded corners and relieved edges are more people friendly... Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Rounded corners and relieved edges are more people friendly... Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Unless you are getting your lumber free, or you have access to slave labor, seems to me you are under charging, or you are making under minimum wage. Have you worked out your costs, including all materials and labor, and you're still making a profit?? The work looks good. You could expand you're line to maybe 5-6 items. Where do you sell, aside from on the web?

Reply to
gpdewitt

I knock out a chair for about $22 material cost, and it takes about 2

1/2 hrs to build, so i figure i am making somewhere between $10-12 an hr, give or take. My first order of 4 chairs took about 10 hrs to build. I appreciate everyone's opinions. Thanks
Reply to
C F

======================= I DID NOT look at your work...

BUT I can tell you that the only person you have to satisfy is yourself... If your happy then the fat lady has sung...game over....!

I have been a"practicing" woodworker for over 40 years and I have always been happy with my work....BUT I do admit that looking at some of my "earlier" work really makes me wonder ... lol

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Looks very uncomfortable. Maybe you could buy some cushions and charge more?

Reply to
John Smith

OK for a cash generating side line, but not nearly enough to sustain a business. I want to earn at least $25 to $30 an hour so I'd have to charge double that to cover overhead. That would put your chair in the $175 range. I did not see your original post so I did not see the chair. Just because I want to price it that way, does not mean a buyer is willing to pay that much.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Or tell the customers where they can get cushions so they get to pick out the colors and patterns they want.

Reply to
fredfighter

roundovah bit or radiusing plane would add a nice touch.

Also, you might consider puting diagonal braces between the seat and the uprights of the b

If you are interested in expanding your line, planters to go on either side of the bench might be an idea.

Your stuff looks good to me.

Reply to
fredfighter

Ferg,

Nice looking projects and as Thomas said, I would opt for rounded edges and corners and maybe practice your jointery and get rid of the screws and nails. Otherwise, great work and looks nice.

Reply to
Bob

Hi Ferg,

Nice work to start, but like anything else, it depends if you are actually selling your stuff. If you are, then no problem in your market.

If you are selling too much to keep up then you should raise your prices a little at a time.

If you are not selling much, the you need to refine your design and/or market. See other posts for design suggestions.

I don't think that worrying about how much you make/hour is a good business model. It's better to make something that people really want and then adjust prices accordingly. Or, just do what you like for the fun of it and hope to cover expenses - or give stuff to friends/relatives.

Me? I'm retired and enjoy woodworking. Don't worry too much about the time involved. Monday's (non- holidays) have become a favorite day of mine.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Specifically, the seat is flat (if you've got a bandsaw, you could put a dish in the frame the slats screw onto to make it more comfy) and the arms are angled downwards, instead of tilted back a little or flat. Might just be me, and I haven't sat in one, but that seems like a combination that would make a guy feel like he's about to slide out of the chair!

OTHO, they're a bargin at what you're charging, so if you like them, keep it up!

Reply to
Prometheus

First thing I thought, before I even saw your work, was Ugh, WebTV. If you are trying to make a business out fo it you should get a proper site to sell online or sell via e-bay.

The stuff looks OK for what it is and its a starting point for you. I too wonder about the slant in the arms.

Try putting one up on e-bay with no reserve and a starting price at your materials only cost. See what happens.

Good luck.

Reply to
No