Can a shop have too much lighting?

Page 2 of 4
On 15 Oct 2004 18:33:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

GREAT idea!!! my normal garage light switch is in the family room, and I usually enter the shop through the garage door... meaning a bit of stumbling to find a switch in the middle of the garage...
I have a sensor and will add it (and a 60w bulb) today... THANKS!!
On 15 Oct 2004 17:30:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxx (Mike) wrote:

If so, that makes a difference on how much light you throw and where you throw it... Also, if you use plastic deflectors (I threw mine away), they cut the light considerably..
I still hang all my fixtures when I can.. I like to put them up sort of temporarily, and do a project or two... they get moved a lot for a while.. lol
If you are still in the layout stage I would suggest you install a few switched outlets on the ceiling. It will be easier to do now before everything is in place. These can be used later for either adding light fixtures or drop down cords for machinery. I have one in the center of the work area that I have a pull out extension cord hooked up to. It is on it's own circuit breaker. Far better to have unused outlets than needing more. You can never have too much light (this from a 57 year old who needs more each year!). Bruce Mike wrote:

On 15 Oct 2004 10:25:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxx (Mike) wrote:

I wasn't sure so I called the Utility Company. They said "No."
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:05:14 GMT, patrick conroy

So in his case, the future's so bright, he's gotta wear shades?
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- || http://www.diversify.com when an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming

My electrician's rule of thumb is a double fluorescent light covers a space 6 feet to each side, so I think six would be adequate if you ran two rows parallel to the 25' wall, 6 and 1/2 feet from the walls and 12 feet apart. He install 4 double eight footers in my shop of 20'X24' and it is quite adequate. The rest of the building, a 28X36 foot garage has 3 rows of 3 eight foot lights. He installed cold start ballasts which is a very good thing in an unheated building, but they are very noisy as heck, which is a very bad thing. The hum drives me nuts!
Gary

Are they hanging on chains or mounted to the ceiling? I've got some of each, and I found that the ones on chains hum a whole lot more than the ones attached to something solid.

Prometheus wrote:

Mine are hanging on chains. They only hum when they're first turned on and continue to hum for a while if it's really cold out there. Once they've warmed up, the hum goes away. Truthfully, I'm only aware of the hum when I first turn them on in the winter months.
Trust me, my lights are as cheap as they come: double four foot fixtures for about $7.50 each. Plenty bright if you get enough of them.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

I should teach the the words). I can't stand it. Every time I go into my shop I have to turn on a radio or the tv to drown out that gawd-awful sound.

Mine are hard mounted to the ceiling joists.
Gary
Mike:

No.
UA100

Acktually, I disagree. Once upon a time I needed to weld an axle back on a trolley, whilst doing so my face shield came off.
Trust me on this - too much light is not a good thing.
--
Greg

"whilst"???
Showing off that edukashun again? :)

I think "whilst" is one of those words that sadly is no longer used much in the US. Along with the likes of "shan't", "mustn't", and "whence."
GTO(John)
This is the internet, I'm from Australia. We still use "whilst", "colour", "neighbour" and "aluminium".
We're just a bit backward, in fact, we still have black and white traffic lights, and the kangaroos run amok in the suburbs.
Give us time and we'll manage to bastardise the language almost as well as you <g>.
--
Greg

"patrick conroy" < snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net> wrote in message

As in Jabberwocky, mate? Or merely Waltzing Matilda
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message ...

As in Mulga Bill, another of Paterson's fare:
http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/patersonab/poetry/mulgab.html
I think we'll have to admit defeat if you trundle ebonics into the fray though.
--

Greg

Ah. I knew some of those works, didn't know the author.
I really want to find somebody that speaks fluent jabberwocky. Not the (in)famous poem, but the Aussie rhyming slang.

Obviously, you're not familiar with the dialectizer. <http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/
Use several of the translations in series -- e.g. a "jive-speaking Cockney Swedish Chef" -- and things get *incredibly* obfuscated.
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message ...

A lot of us speak "strine", one of the most active would be Phil Laird. What were you hoping to learn?
cheers,
Greg
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:53:05 +0000, Robert Bonomi

You know you can sing Ave Maria to the tune of Waltzing Matilda?