CabinetMaster stuck

I've run into a small problem. One of my Jorgy Cabinet Master Clamps fell off the rack. On hitting the floor, the moveable jaw moved into close proximity with the fixed jaw. It seems to be stuck in this position. I can twist the handle a small amount, but no position seems to free the jaw so that it will open up. Has anyone run across this, and what was your solution?

TIA Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

=)

Same thing happened to me - but I was just holding it upside down and the jaw closed w/ the other on. It just take patience keep working them - they will come apart.

Reply to
Rob V

Yes, I have and fortunately that is the only problem I have ever had with them.. Be certain that the screw is loosen and then look at the bottom of the clamp. Use a flat blade screw driver to pry the silver square bar away from the round bar.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks, I'll try that.

Reply to
Eric Lund

I showed up at the store this morning and they were all gone (they actually sold them all *last* weekend).

The guy in the store mentioned that this was an ongoing problem with the clamps and that they got a lot of returns on them because of this. He said they have to slam the tip of the clamp bar onto a concrete surface to get them to open when this happens.

He was probably just trying to make me feel better, but he says because of this problem, he doesn't buy them, they don't normally stock them and that I'd be happier with a Bessey. Given the rebates going on at the BORG on handtools, I'm picking up Bessey's there.

~Mark.

Reply to
Mark Ohlund

You can easily open the clamp by inserting a screw drive in the bottom and prying it open. This has happened to me 1 time in 15 months. IMHO the Cabinet masters offer multiple advantages over the competition. Well worth another look. The foot on the bar that offers "one handed" operation did it for me.

Reply to
Leon

In article , snipped-for-privacy@woodwrecker.com says... ...

Rebates at the Borg? Which Borg sells Besseys? What's the deal? (I'm in the same boat as you -- screwed by Woodcraft.)

Abe

Reply to
Abe

Home Depot is offering a varying amount gift card rebate depending upon how much you spend on hand tools ... there is a recent thread here a week or so back. DAGS.

I didn't participate in the feeding frenzy over the WoodCraft sale because I'd already spent my budget on Bessey's last week ... about 30% off, all told. I bought 4 31" KBodies for $151+tax and will hopefully get a $60 Home Depot gift card in return in "about 10-12 weeks".

Reply to
Swingman

I had one that was stuck for about 6 - 7 months. Tried every screwdriver/leverage trick I could think of. (It had worked with a Bessey that had the same problem.) I finally got it free by tapping the end (not the base of the clamp, the end with the black removeable stopper) on a concrete floor several times. Each time it became a little looser and finally ... ta da ... it was like getting a new clamp.

--[ Tom ]--

Reply to
Tom Murray

Thanks. That sounds like a pretty sweet deal. I didn't know HD sold Besseys, at least from my experience locally. Must have overlooked them, but will look again.

Abe

Reply to
Abe

Hi Abe, I have seen Besseys at HD here in Atlanta, but theyt have always been priced above what I could afford to pay. Not saying that they are overpriced, just that I couldn't afford to buy them. Later, Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

Hey Beej -- I just found some at the HD not far from where I live. (Not the closest one: that one is apparently a "small" HD and doesn't stock some stuff. Didn't know that until recently.) If HD makes good on it, it really was a sweet deal. I spent a little over $200 on Bessey clamps and a couple of other hand tools, and should receive an $80 gift certificate.

cheers, Abe

Reply to
Abe

Leon,

Screwdriver thing worked great. Found a way to keep it from happening again. Move the floating jaw to where you want to store it and turn the handle all the way tight. Locks the jaw in place.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

"Eric Lund" >

Great Eric... The first time this happend to me was then my father, a non woodworker, picked up the clamp by the end of the blar and let the clamp slam shut. I was afraid that it would be stuck shut and it was.. Luckily I discovered the screw driver trick rather quickly. I'll try your trick also... but I learned after the first time to try to prevent it from happening again.. ;~)

Reply to
Leon