Buying a bandsaw

Recommendations please.

I am going to purchase a bandsaw for my shop and am able to spend aroun $300 - $400.

Any suppestions?

Thanks greyanne

Reply to
greyanne

as far as how big a saw or what brand, that will depend on things like what you're making and how much room you have in your shop.

for that money I'd definitely be buying used.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I would buy a Grizzly G0555. If you are not willing to spend a little bit more you only alternative is to buy a bench top unit or a used one if you can find it.

Reply to
Tom

If I were in the market today for a 14" bandsaw, I would try hard to find a used Delta 28-299.

Reply to
Swingman

BTW - For practical woodworking most benchtops fall in the "toy" category. Too little power, capacity, quality, etc. They are generally considered craft machines.

I Agree with others. You need to increase you budget a little, or shop used. Local classifieds list them fairly often.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

How about the Ridgid 14" for $350? From the reviews I have read it sounds like a nice saw?

Reply to
Locutus

Assuming you want a stand alone saw (not a bench top which is probably not worth your time), you are probably looking for either used or a Taiwan/Chinese saw. I personally have the Grizzly G0555 and have been happy with it. I haven't checked the price lately but it should be close to your budget.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

A good used one.

Dave

Teamcasa

Not w/o some idea what you think you want to use it for...

Reply to
dpb

Minimum you want is a 14". At $400 you are short for a Delta orJet, but maybe a Ridgid. or Grizzly If you can find a decent used one, that would be good. IMO, anything less than a 14" is asking for a problem. You won't be happy with it after a few months and wish you had gone to the 14" right from the start.

Avoid the 3 wheel models too; can be difficult to set up and track properly. If you buy used, chances are it will need a little work, like new tires, but that is minor stuff if in good condition.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"greyanne" wrote in news:1156177223.323377.16380 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Where do you live? I might have a Delta 14" saw that will fit your budget.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

After shopping for a new BS in the same price range, I chose on the Craftsman 14" model 22401. I *believe* it's actually made by Rikon -- even the stickers on the doors are the same. With a cast iron table and wheels (reduced vibration, increased stability), 8" resaw capability (thickness), a 1HP induction motor (very quiet), and roller guide bearings (instead of blocks), you'd have to spend a lot more for anything else that's comparable. I've used mine quite a bit to make veneers, bent laminations and panels. A *lot* nicer than the $99 Delta

9" wobble-monster I was using.

What the...?!?! I just checked the Sears web site and it appears that they're no longer selling it. I really was too good to be true. They must have been losing money on it, or perhaps the agreement with Rikon ended. Hmph. Maybe you could get the floor model.

Never mind.

/dev

Reply to
slashdev

A used Delta.

Reply to
Phisherman

and=A0it=A0appears=A0that

=A0be=A0true.=A0=A0They

Shows up fine on my computer. Look at:

have to paste that together.

--=20 It's turtles, all the way down

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Lowes has a 14" Delta, 3/4 HP for $379.00 in the store.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I live in the Atlanta area near Lake Lanier. and am building adirondack chairs right now but plan to build my own bedroom suite, along with some other furniture. After all I have more time than money.

greyanne

Reply to
greyanne