Building a bookshelf...Wood species Suggestions?

Page 2 of 2

There is a built in book shelf in my grandson's bedroom. Before him two other boys inhabited the room. They are pine. They have been repainted a few times, but this is what I would recommend. They hold up just fine, pine is cheap and the shelves are covered with books and toys - so you can't see them anyway. Oh, by the way - the room has knotty pine walls - perfect for young active boys compared to sheetrock. I remember when I was small, my two older brothers would wrestle literally through the sheetrock! Mark