Brush Replacement on PC 690?

Well, this is most embarrassing, but I can't seem to figure out how to put the brushes back in! I picked up this used 693 kit, with the plunge and standard base, hardly used. I thought I would see just how "hardly used" so removed the brushes for inspection, but trying to put them back is difficult. There are two "ears" that fit into matching slots in the brush housing, but the spring is so strong and the space so tight, there is no way to keep them in the slots while at the same time screwing the cap back on. Anybody done it? Can you give this clueless guy a hint? I've got the manual, but it doesn't mention brushes at all. Nothing on the PC site and nothing in the archives for this group. I'm stymied!
--

Best Regards, Phil

Living In The Woods Of Beautiful Bonney Lake Washington
Phil Anderson wrote:

<snip>
It's a bitch, but this just worked for me.
(I had a plastic cap unscrew and let the brush almost fall out.)
Use your fingers and a small screwdriver to get the brush totally back into the holder, then hold that "U" clip your having trouble with, using the same small, flat blade screwdriver bit (1/8" max).
Slide plastic brush cup back into place causing the screwdriver bit to slide out of the way.
After that , it's a piece of cake if you don't cross thread the plastic brush cap<G>.
Lew
Thanks, Lew, that's exactly what I did and it worked!