Brazing cast iron

Did you trying mixing Oxygen with the MAPP gas?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

these?

Buy a toaster oven at the Goodwill store for $5. It'll handle up to a #5, I believe.

I believe that's a torch design, not just a top for a generic torch. Just pick up an oxy/acet kit from the local welding supply, HF, Griz, Northern, or elsewhere.

"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've used straight MAPP to silver solder (50/50 silver/copper jeweler's solder) lugs onto bike frames, so it *should* work on cast iron. Trick is to place a heat-reflecting surface behind the work to get the most from the torch. Firebrick or a tray of pea gravel works well. Silver/copper solder is plenty strong, it's what's used to hold carbide chips on saw blades and router bits.

Reply to
Father Haskell

A hotter torch lets you work faster, thus reduces warpage.

Reply to
Father Haskell

these?

A. charcoal

B. bellows or substitute

Mind you don't melt the iton :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I made an aluminum bike frame a long time ago - milled the tubes and had someone weld it up. Rode the bike across the country back in the

80's. I've always wanted to make a lugged steel frame. What sort of bike did you make, and where did you get the tubes and lugs? R
Reply to
RicodJour

these?

Won't work, from what I remember because the jet size is different, The turbo provides more air, so requires a bigger jet. Just from memory.

Reply to
clare

Cheap Ross 10 speed, seeing if I could pretty it up. Bought the parts -- cable and bottle bosses, not lugs (apologies) from a local frame builder. Worked fine, didn't seem to hurt the frame.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Weber kettle with shop vac plumbed in for air source. Cowboy or Royal Oak hardwood charcoal should give you a nice, clean reducing fire. You'll at least get your money's worth in sparks. Not sure if Kingsford asphalt / soot based briquettes are good for smithing.

Reply to
Father Haskell

To all who said you can't braze with MAPP gas, you were right...

You need to use MAPP with oxygen. That is enough to braze most things. When you are talking about heating up something as large and heavy of a heat sink, like a plane body, it will take a good portion of both, especially the oxy.

You can braze lighter things with straight MAPP. It gets hot enough if the workpiece is light enough. If you don't believe that, go talk to guys that do air conditioning work, day after day.

Reply to
Morgans

A hotter torch lets you work faster, thus reduces warpage.

True. Also preheat the body, and post heat treat. I have heard a self cleaning oven is a good makeshift unit to use for post heat and cool down.

Reply to
Morgans

Agreed. I was able to get the side piece that cracked off hot enough for the brazing to stick. I could get the main body red by using a propane torch on one side and the MAPP on the other, but not the bright red color needed for brazing.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I called BernzOmatiC yesterday and they said this tip will fit on my push button torch.

like the BernzOmatiC and the Lenox torches are made by the same company
guess I'll swing by Grainger today and pick one up.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

$10.49 isn't a bad price for a trial tool. Go for it. You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Success!

Used a MAPP Oxygen setup from Lowes. BernzOmatiC OX2550

great. Got the cast iron bright red in less than a minute. Being my first time it was a little messy but nothing a belt sander couldn't take care of.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

> Worked great. Got the cast iron bright red in less than a minute.

Congratulations! Sounds like a Win-Win-Win for you, the plane, and the readers here. I might have tried a file before a belt sander, but you're the one doing the work.

Bill

Reply to
Bill