Brazing cast iron

A hotter torch lets you work faster, thus reduces warpage. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
True. Also preheat the body, and post heat treat. I have heard a self cleaning oven is a good makeshift unit to use for post heat and cool down.
--
Jim in NC

I have a nice old Depression era Stanley #4 that has a piece broken out of the side. It has been repaired by riveting the broken piece back in with a steel backing plate. I love the plane, it is filed smooth, works well, and it means something that a previous owner cared enough about it to go to a lot of trouble with the repair.

To all who said you can't braze with MAPP gas, you were right...
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 05:32:36 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

Did you remove the wooden pieces and toss it in the oven at 400 degrees to warm up the casting first, just before brazing?
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

I suppose I could try that one day when SWMBO is not home...
I tried using an older BernzOmatic TS4000 that is good for MAPP and propane but does not have the newer 'swirl' tip. Could not get the bright red color needed on the thicker piece. I have googled but have been unable to find a source to buy just the screw on tips. Does anyone know where I can buy just the screw on swirl tip?
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 07:11:26 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

Buy a toaster oven at the Goodwill store for $5. It'll handle up to a #5, I believe.

I believe that's a torch design, not just a top for a generic torch. Just pick up an oxy/acet kit from the local welding supply, HF, Griz, Northern, or elsewhere.
http://tinyurl.com/4tek243 http://tinyurl.com/45d7447 http://tinyurl.com/2g29oby http://tinyurl.com/4pu5ltq
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams
Limp Arbor wrote:

A. charcoal
B. bellows or substitute
Mind you don't melt the iton :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Weber kettle with shop vac plumbed in for air source. Cowboy or Royal Oak hardwood charcoal should give you a nice, clean reducing fire. You'll at least get your money's worth in sparks. Not sure if Kingsford asphalt / soot based briquettes are good for smithing.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 07:11:26 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

Won't work, from what I remember because the jet size is different, The turbo provides more air, so requires a bigger jet. Just from memory.

I called BernzOmatiC yesterday and they said this tip will fit on my push button torch. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LENOX-Torch-Tip-2CZL3?Pid=search
Looks like the BernzOmatiC and the Lenox torches are made by the same company
http://www.bernzomatic.com/Portals/8/Resources/ProductImages/BZTG_TS4000T_019040_lg.jpg
http://art4gis.com/gra/4NE81_AS01.JPG
I guess I'll swing by Grainger today and pick one up.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 06:09:07 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

$10.49 isn't a bad price for a trial tool. Go for it. You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen
On 3/21/2011 8:32 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:

Did you trying mixing Oxygen with the MAPP gas?
Bill
To all who said you can't braze with MAPP gas, you were right... +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You need to use MAPP with oxygen. That is enough to braze most things. When you are talking about heating up something as large and heavy of a heat sink, like a plane body, it will take a good portion of both, especially the oxy.
You can braze lighter things with straight MAPP. It gets hot enough if the workpiece is light enough. If you don't believe that, go talk to guys that do air conditioning work, day after day.
--
Jim in NC

Agreed. I was able to get the side piece that cracked off hot enough for the brazing to stick. I could get the main body red by using a propane torch on one side and the MAPP on the other, but not the bright red color needed for brazing.

Success!
Used a MAPP Oxygen setup from Lowes. BernzOmatiC OX2550
http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/009/140/122/trimmed/9140334_10754122_trimmed.jpg
Worked great. Got the cast iron bright red in less than a minute. Being my first time it was a little messy but nothing a belt sander couldn't take care of.
Limp Arbor wrote:

http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/009/140/122/trimmed/9140334_10754122_trimmed.jpg
Congratulations! Sounds like a Win-Win-Win for you, the plane, and the readers here. I might have tried a file before a belt sander, but you're the one doing the work.
Bill