Bookcase color

I want to try to paint a couple of bookcases brick red on the inside and forest green on the outside. I've seen it done elsewhere and it looks great, but what *exact* colors should I ask for so it doesn't look like a Christmas decoration?
Thanks,

Shellac.

It's up to you, so head out to the pain departement and start looking. (No, that's not a typo.)
I'd suggest something along the lines of brick red and ivy green, like what Wrigley Field has.
Puckdropper

(snip)
I would go to http://benjaminmoore.com/ or another paint vendor website and play with the color wheels. They usually have photos that you can change the color of and see how different colors will look next to each other. They probably will not have a bookcase but a wall and a ceiling should let you take a look
Larry C

Scroll about half way down to the Milk Paints and see the color choices. Typically you can use as a regular paint and IIRC you end up with a "FLAT" finish. If you wat a bit more sheen and more protection add a layer or two of varnish on top. Typically these milk paints can be applied like regular paint and some allow you to wipe away excess for a stained look.
I have found them very easy to apply with a brush.
http://generalfinishes.com/finishes/water-base-finishes/waterbase_finishes.htm
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:09:50 -0500, sam wrote:

Whatever colors you choose, don't use latex paint. It never completely hardens, and the darker the colors the worse the problem. If you set a heavy load (like a book) on a latex painted surface and leave it there it will eventually stick to the surface.
I'd suggest milk paint with possible oil or shellac overcoat.

snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm says...

Thanks for all the good information.
Milk paints sound very promising.
I would create a "very" small version made from MDF and try my colors on that prior to the final version.
All you need is a side and a shelf cobbled together to get some idea of the appearance.
Colors are too varied to even guess what you might perceive as pretty.
sam wrote:

As noted in a different post, I am also building a couple of bookcases. I never thought about the latex paint issue, thanks Larry B. I have never used milk paint before. Could those of you have please give me an idea of the cure time. Basically the time I need to wait after I paint them until I drop the cases off at the local school. The cases will be painted in my cellar. An average of 65 degrees. Not that humid now that summer is over.
Thanks
Larry C
"Larry C" wrote:

If you can get it in your area, take a look at oil based "Porch and Floor Enamel".
In addition to wearing well, probably have the colors you are looking for.
Lew