Bois D'arc (or Bo-darc) use?

I dunno. Legend has it that if you put a rock on top of a black locust post, you'll wear out the rock twice before the post rots.

JE

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Jon Endres responds:

Believe me, it's legend. I've replaced too many old locust posts to believe they'er exceptionally durable. But those posts were OLD. Maybe 50 years. And that area of Virginia is hard on any kind of posts. I've laid PT wood, treated for in ground use, on the ground to hold other wood up, and within a year, the termites have gnawed the PT stuff to nothing.

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

It's one of the few woods grown in my area that I find usable for pool cue butts. But it's hard to find the guy who wants a yellow cue! I've made a dozen or so over the years!

-- just more hot air! 8^)

Sherm aka "cuesmith" in yahoo Sherm Custom Billiard Cues by, Sherman Adamson

Reply to
Sherm Adamson

Makes absolutely wonderful bows. The wood is bright yellow when freshly cut, but ages on exposure to air and light to a beautiful brown with cherry overtones. The wood contains a lot of silica, so keep your tools sharp, and sharpen often. Supposedly good for woodturning, but I have not tried it on my lathe.

My current osage orange (another name for it, also called horseapple) bow changed for the bright yellow to a decent brown >It's one of the few woods grown in my area that I find usable for pool cue

Reply to
Roy