Bois D'arc (or Bo-darc) use?

Page 2 of 2
Translated Bois D'arc means "wood of the arc" or as stated wood for bows. Cajuns pronounce it Bow-Dock. It makes a great turning wood and is one of the most popular materials for duck calls.
-- Eric P
"Eric P"wrote in message

Only those Cajuns from New Jersey.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

have
it
Makes absolutely wonderful bows. The wood is bright yellow when freshly cut, but ages on exposure to air and light to a beautiful brown with cherry overtones. The wood contains a lot of silica, so keep your tools sharp, and sharpen often. Supposedly good for woodturning, but I have not tried it on my lathe.
My current osage orange (another name for it, also called horseapple) bow changed for the bright yellow to a decent brown in about two weeks. Probably hasn't darkened too much in the last couple of years. I have no idea how Sherm keeps the pool cues bright yellow for years.