board foot rule

Page 2 of 2
joe wrote:

One of the magazines, maybe Popular "Woodworking" or "Woodworking" recently had an article on how to make one. Essentially, it was a hooked ruler with columns for the length of the board. The user reads the width directly to the length for the board feet.
They're not a precision device, so it looked easy. I think he marked 4-5-6-7-8 foot columns, which were doubled for 8-10-12-14-16 foot boards. He may also have made versions for different thicknesses of stock.
If you can't find the article, you could easily make one with basic math and the photos from the other links. My local dealer uses rulers that appear to be shop made.