board feet and quarters

The hardwood wholesalers around here sometimes average, and sometimes calculate by the narrowest useable part. Depends a bit what you go asking for, and how it fits your cut-list. If you will be able to use most of the wood, they average it. If there will be significant waste because the board is non-standard - and they have nothing else, they often "eat" the waste.
"Steve Turner" wrote:

-------------------------- Smart marketing gesture.
Lew

What was the engineer claiming?

...and after all the explanations if they are still that way, get a pedicure and see if they take interest again.
A board foot is defined as a 1' x 1' x 1" or combinations to get 144 cu inch of material. When I go to the lumber store a 1" thick board is actually 3/4".
When I see lumber listed as 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4, etc, what should I actually be able measue it out as?
If I have wood that measures as 2" thick with my tapemeasure, how would I express that in quarters?
This likely has come up before, but I just got into discussion with a 50%er engineer who just absolutely "knows" because the degree in his pocket says so.
Pete