Blow Dust Outside vs filter?

Would there be reason I should not duct the output of my 2hp Dust Collector (Harbor Freight) through a wall to the outside and into a trash container? What I have in mind is to send the 5" duct output from the impeller through the garage wall, via an metal 5" duct transition through the wall. I would then attach another 5" duct section on the outside wall to the cyclone section of the unit which would be mounted over a garbage can and with no filter or collection bags, or in other words open to the air on the top and the bottom of the cyclone unit. It would look as shown in the first picture of the Wynn modification instructions below.

reading the BillPentz.com information, even fine filtering inside is still a health issue and the best solution is to send it outside.

Any thoughts appreciated

Reply to
trs80

If you are in an enclosed environment the dust flying out side should not be a problem other than every thing out side being dusty.

Reply to
Leon

Depending on your location, the make-up air here is mighty cold!

Reply to
TH

Two issues--heat/air conditioning and neighbors.

If your'e running a proper cyclone there shouldn't be a whole lot of dust coming out, but if it's cold outside a 2 hp dust collector is going to bring all that cold _inside_ pretty quickly. Still if you have nearby neighbors there may be enough dust coming out to be an annoyance.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you're blowing all that dust-filled (and heated) air outside, and you keep your doors and windows closed, you won't have much air velocity to your cyclone. If you open a door or window (or both) to get sufficient air flow to the outside, it's probably going to get pretty cold pretty fast in the winter (and pretty warm pretty fast in the summer). If you live in San Diego or Hawaii, this might not be too much of a problem...

Reply to
Bruce T

Pretty sure Bill discusses the problem of providing make-up air, and that it might not be legal to do this in your area. Without enough makeup air you can create enough negative pressure to suck the exhaust gases out of your furnace or gas appliances. That's somewhat of a more immediate problem than sawdust.

And the trash can should be in the same room as you so you can see when it needs to be emptied. When it gets full it stops collecting and everything goes right through it, which even though it would be outside is probably not what you want to happen, or else why bother with the cyclone lid at all.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Reply to
trs80

Reply to
trs80

A planer or jointer can fill a garbage can REAL fast.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

| Any thoughts appreciated

Give a bit of thought to what you're going to be sucking _into_ the shop (and through what openings) as well as what will be blown _out_ of the shop along with the dust.

If any of your neighbors downwind have allergies or hang wash outdoors to dry, you might expect to hear from them and/or your local public health department.

Morris Dovey

Reply to
trs80

Reply to
trs80

Reply to
trs80

Reply to
trs80

Assuming the obvious loss of heated/cooled air is not an issue for you then I think there are two considerations. First is there any problem blowing dust in the outside area. If you are on a farm or have a multi-acre estate then you are the only person that would care. If you live 5 feet from your neighbor's house, they might have a thought or two. Second, what are you sucking back into your shop. All air blown outside is replaced by air coming in from outside. Hopefully the dust blown out won't be in the air sucked back in ;-) I do wonder if your air is so good where you live that it is appreciably cleaner than air pumped through a 1 or .5 micron filter?

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Reply to
trs80

"trs80" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.boeing.com:

David Marks is in Santa Rosa, on maybe an acre of land in the suburbs. His cyclone is 30' from his shop, and drops into a small pile on the ground. Where you're in San Diego, it will work at least as well. You may want to water the dust pile occasionally.

David works with the doors open most of the time.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch