Blood all over maple.

So today I machined my draw faces, sides and some other items.
the draw faces are maple, the sides poplar. These will be for lateral files..
Well while gluing up I cut my knuckle... I didn't notice it. But after a while I started seeing RED literally all over the wood. I sucked the blood off the knuckle and continued to clamp the multiple draw faces up.
Now trying to get the boards aligned... damn red everywhere. This little cut was gushing.
So after it's all clamped I start with water... not coming out. Then alcohol... better but not great.
Hopefully when I finish thicknessing the staining will be gone. Maple's hard... and maybe it didn't go deep. But if it did, will Oxalic acid clean off the blood from the maple?
On 5/15/2012 6:41 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Draw??? ;~) Drawer right?

files? You are really starting to be as confusing as me now... LOL

In 1989 I was building maple tool boxes, four of them for Christmas presents while I was on vacation. I cut half my thumb off and got blood on the maple. It will eventually turn very dark with no color. So while that is not much better, it is better than red! :~)
On 5/15/2012 8:04 PM, Leon wrote:

Yes
Great, that's not what I want. But I will be staining or dyeing this. There's some figure so I'll see how a sample looks with dye. But I need to get rid of the DARK blotch that will occur.
I'll try the Peroxide... Not sure I want to add salt water to the equation... But if the peroxide doesn't work I'll try that.
Thanks guys.
On 5/15/2012 8:04 PM, Leon wrote:

Yes
Great, that's not what I want. But I will be staining or dyeing this. There's some figure so I'll see how a sample looks with dye. But I need to get rid of the DARK blotch that will occur.
I'll try the Peroxide... Not sure I want to add salt water to the equation... But if the peroxide doesn't work I'll try that.
Thanks guys.
"tiredofspam" wrote:

Don't know if Oxalic acid will work but the standard for getting blood out is to soak it in salt water followed by soak in clear water.
Lew
PS: The sooner the better.
Household hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) dissolves blood, removing the red color. It cleans wounds, also. Peroxide should be in everyone's medicine cabinet. It's inexpensive, too.
100% hydorgen peroxide is rocket fuel.
Sonny

30% H2O2 is the most concentrated that is relatively easily obtainable, but even 3% is a pretty good oxidator.
Joke is here: http://fumaga.com/10165
--
Best regards
Han

ROTFL!
The other guy (stick?) is lucky, too. DiHydrogen Monoxide has been known to kill many people, no matter what state it is in: liquid, gas, or solid.
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw
Hydrogen peroxide does a wonderful job on blood stains. Don't know what it does to maple.

Nothing. Been there, done that. It's the perfect thing to use.
"tiredofspam" wrote in message
So today I machined my draw faces, sides and some other items.
the draw faces are maple, the sides poplar. These will be for lateral files..
Well while gluing up I cut my knuckle... I didn't notice it. But after a while I started seeing RED literally all over the wood. I sucked the blood off the knuckle and continued to clamp the multiple draw faces up.
Now trying to get the boards aligned... damn red everywhere. This little cut was gushing.
So after it's all clamped I start with water... not coming out. Then alcohol... better but not great.
Hopefully when I finish thicknessing the staining will be gone. Maple's hard... and maybe it didn't go deep. But if it did, will Oxalic acid clean off the blood from the maple? ========================================================================Now you've done it. The only recourse is to draw enough blood to do an even stain job. It might be your life's work. :)
On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:31:53 PM UTC-7, CW wrote:

I was thinking alongthose same lines. Anyone ever seen the Red Violin?

Should try hydrogen peroxide to remove blood. WW
tiredofspam wrote:

No idea but sand paper will.
More info here... http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-blood-stains /
--