Bleach is Bad

Just for information.

My son found an old animal skull (fox?) in the woods and wanted to clean it up. So he mixed up some bleach and water in a plastic bucket and left it in the garage (my shop). It's a 3 car garage not a small one car type. A few days later he takes out the skull all nice and white and leaves the bucket with the bleach. All of this is without my knowledge but I probably would not cared anyway. I go away for 2 weeks and come back to find RUST on my jointer, my band saw, my brand new saber saw etc. I look around and anything within 10 feet of the bucket has some rust and the closer it is the more rust. Needless to say no more bleach in my shop.

Don't recall seeing this info posted before so I thought I would mention it especially knowing some of you wreckers work in basements and may be close to laundry areas.

Everyone just calls me Bob.

Reply to
Just Bob

Bleach = chlorine. Chlorine is an oxidizer. Oxygen and steel don't get along very well at all.

Good advice. I might have found some occasion to do the same thing, but next time I'll think about it first!

Reply to
Silvan

Yep. Softens the rubber and makes it sticky, increasing traction. I wonder if it would help with a slipping belt on a table saw?

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

About 4 years ago I was in an all law enforcement band. One of the guys was a friend of Mickey Gilley and asked if we could borrow some stage equipment (we were opening for Leanne Rimes) and wanted a good showing. We went out to Mickey's house in Pasadena, Texas and he had a huge warehouse in his "back yard." We got some speakers, a few monitors, and I picked out a great looking Yamaha Baby Grand electric piano. We got everything back to my studio - set up for a rehearsal and the piano didn't work. I opened the back and it was totally coated with blueish white corrosion. The pool guy got caught in the rain and left a 5 gallon bucket of pool shock inside the door of the area that housed the keyboards. 19 of them ruined. I called Mickey and he said - "Aw hell - just keep it and come get yerself another one. I've got another room full of them."

The chlorine gases are fast and furious - especially on brass items.

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Reply to