blade thickness gizmo

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

If the tenon is thin enough that you're worried about it, just stuff in a plane shaving or some similarly thin shim when you glue it up.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll never know how this will turn out unless I actually put blade to wood and I also know that things rarely turn out as bad as we think they will.

Besides, this isn't rocket surgery. It's just wood and wood can be re-bought and re-cut if things go terribly bad. I'm bound to get *some* of them right. For the others, well, spring is coming and the fire pit is beginning to thaw out. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The mark of a craftsman is being able to fix his mistakes...

John

Reply to
John McCoy

When it come to making doors, methods can be cussed and discussed, but the two most important elements have little to do with methods:

Stock _selection_ (knowing which wood to use for doors, along with the way it was cut from the log, both key to stock that is less likely to warp, bow or twist).

And stock _preparation_ (consistency in thickness and flatness), are the two mandatory elements to successfully building doors (and the reason why we own jointers and planers).

More so than most any other woodworking endeavor, and much more so than the method used.

Reply to
Swingman

You will be fine, just practice on same thickness and wood scraps. There is not much more you can do after you have the set up fine tuned.

Reply to
Leon