Birch lumber in East TExas.

I am doing a cabinet project for bud at work and he wants it to be birch so he can stain it. I only have worked in red oak in the past so I dont have any or really want to buy a big supply. I only need about 200 bf of 4/4 ruff sawn to make up his doors. I dont mind traveling to get it if it is not too far from Lufkin tx. Too far is like 100 -200 miles. I will even try mail order if it is cheaper than the gas. I do not own a business just do wood working as a hobby and only buy my wood locally but he is balking at the price of birch in the local stores. I really dont blame him they are quite high. Thanks Kenny
Houston Hardwoods has 4/5 and 8/4 birch. They are probably over your limit in time though. They do have a website. http://www.houstonhardwoods.com /

Poplar, maple? Both are very light and usually cheap. Wilson

(817) 640-2200 It's just off 360 south of 183 just in Arlington-- They are the only folks I could find to buy Ash molding from that's near to me. (Van Alstyne) This is the link-- you may be able to find one closer http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&q=+hardwood+lumber&near=Arlington%2C+TX&btnG=Search
Boy are you in luck.. There is a great little place about 45 miles north of you on 259. Nacogdoches is about half way. About 1 mile south of Mt. Enterprise.
The Hardwood Barn sawmill. At the moment they have 4/4 Birch listed 1.94 a BF.
http://www.hardwoodbarn.com/inventory.htm

Hot dam! I'll have to remember this place dfor the next time I'm in Longview.
--
Nahmie
"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

Likewise when I go back to AR to see my daughter in college ... but I have to get rid of this walnut first. I'd be happier with a 900sf house and 3200 sf shop at this point in my life.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

You really should go a head and go see you daughter this weekend. Bring your walnut to my house on you way. ;~)
My wife and I use Nacogdoches as a weekend get away occasionally and we took a 20 minute trip up there to check the Hardwood Barn out. While they do not have the inventory that the Houston stores have, I talked to them and they seemed to be quite friendly and helpful. I bet they would be willing to put an order together for you in advance. IIRC they have a much larger wholesale operation in a different location.