Bigger bandsaw choices, what to do, what to do! (long)

By the way, my MM24 is clearly marked Centauro, Italy

John

Reply to
John

Hi Bob, Thanks for your comments and time... Wow! a better recommendation can't be found (Mark Duginske). OK, I guess my quest is over. Minimax wins by a length! It'll be a couple of weeks before the money becomes available, then I'll place the order! I'll review and post, of course. I'm also working on a Woodrat review (part one) I'll post soon. Thanks for your insight, and your time. Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Nice saws, but the 20" equivalent is American, not Italian and the bigger saws are all 3 phase. I got an email from the Minimax guy, and the deal gets sweeter if I wait for the Orlando show. If I do though, I'll have to haul it all the way back from there to my place. Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:03:50 -0500, the inscrutable "Thomas Bunetta" spake:

So dump LookOUT Express, eh? ;)

Interesting article for ya:

> What are you trying to resaw, Tom? I get 10" capability with my 18"

Right, but what shape is the wood from which you're shaving veneer?

Just wanted to make sure.

My 18-incher came in a 200 lb crate could have been easily offloaded had the need arisen. Big Arn like the 20 and 24" monsters could use a forklift or auto wrecker boom. You could, however, find out who they'd use to ship it to you and make the necessary arrangements. It's usually only a $50 addition.

Hey, stop closing down Spanky's Lounge and Tulie's and get to work.

Jewelcome. Now go buy that Minimax if you're too much of a wuss to buy the Griz. Crikey, I just looked at their prices.

======================================================== Was that an African +

or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications ========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Resawing boards of up to 12" and/or glue ups wider still. Max use of lumber, minimum waste of good cherry (or what have you). Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Thanks Larry, I had already read that one (and the Laguna forum had a stinging counterpoint reply to the article). That and other posts there had convinced me they were not the kind of people I like to associate with. Tom

Thomas Bunetta

In my book pre-sales support is the single best indicator of post-sales support. If they don't take care of you when they're trying to get your money, they're not likely to do any better once they've got your money.

Maybe it's time to cross Laguna off my wish list.

--RC

rcook5

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:06:17 -0500, the inscrutable "Thomas Bunetta" spake:

How much of this are you planning on doing? Enough to justify the nearly $4k that Minimax wants for the 24", or about $2.5k for the little M16? (I had trouble wrestling a pair of crowbars to get $695 out of my wallet for the G1012. ;)

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you/re asking am I going into production... no, not yet ;

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 05:30:49 -0500, the inscrutable "Thomas Bunetta" spake:

People used to buy entire homes for the price of a Minimax nowadays. Maybe I'm just too frugal. I still have a whole lot of trouble with those pesky commas in prices. =:-0

Nice new trick, old dog. ;) (Kudos.)

Resale value? Most tools made today will outlast us (given minor maintenance) if only semi-well made.

Yeah, a 14-incher isn't meant to resaw. The G1012 can handle 10", and that's decent enough for me.

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I am shopping for an 18" bandsaw. In the meantime I am using the service of a portable bandsaw mill contractor His hourly fee is $45.00 CAD. The last time we downed some eastern pine trees. We then cut them in 12 foot lengths and saw them to 4/4 and 8/4 thick. The largest widths I had was 24-26 inches. On average I had 12" -14" wide boards. Now I am making arrangement to get some oak, ash, yellow birch and cherry logs. Maybe not all at once. Then when I am ready I'll call the portable mill contractor and hire him to cut the proper bowl blanks sizes from 8 feet long logs. What will be left for me to do is to cross cut the blanks as per the correct lengths. If this goes well I'll have decide if I need an 18" bandsaw. Once the rough bland have a flat surface that could rest of the cast iron table of the bandsaw I may only need a 16 inches to cut them in circle.?

Denis Marier

You know, that is also true of cars and trucks but a Minimax will out last and out perform any car or any truck, especially if you don't take it out on the road a lot. ;)

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

)
Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Where I live its could costs less money to buy fire wood in 8 feet lengths and have it delivered to your backyard. By doing that you cannot be picky and choosy. You can get everything from yellow birch, maple, ash, oak, cherry, walnut and others. Last year I got some cherry and walnut. This year I only have maple and yellow birch. Before christmas I have sent for a Laguna catalogue and I am still waiting for it. Although my mentors tell me to go for the 24" bandsaw or stay with what I now have, the BusyBee 16" Bandsaw looks attractive to me. As for the slicing panels I am doing fine with the portable saw mill contractor. What I have learned is that air drying keeps the board pretty flat and I can get away with a thickness of

7/8 instead of 1". This way have less surface planing to do.
Reply to
Denis Marier

I'd think there'd be a lot of opportunity for log hunting -- A combination of residential/urban areas and big winds.

That's the way it works around here, anyway.

rcook5

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Down here the prizes are mesquite, ironwood, chinaberry, silk oak and such. Mesquite is particularly common since people plant them in beds and such. They don't realize that unlike trees from civilized parts the native trees around here have root systems that extend out to two or three times the diameter of their drip lines. The mesquite is constricted by the concrete and that leave it with a root system that can't hold it again high wind.

Of course resawing ironwood is a pain (!) but the stuff is beautiful.

rcook5