Bigger bandsaw choices, what to do, what to do! (long)

Page 1 of 2
I asked privately what one of our more esteemed "Wreckers" basically the same as written below, and await his thoughts. In this forum I have always gotten a good cross-section of opinions and it is that input I ask once more.
I looked at (as previously stated) Grizzley Laguna and Minimax (couldn't find a distributor for Agazzani). I'm dubious about Grizz, their 24" doesn't offer as much table, resaw capacity, or weight as the other twos 20"'ers. (But about 1700 less dollars inch for inch on their 24").
I have looked at the video offerings from both Laguna and Minimax.
Have you noticed that if you ask a hammer saleman what you need, the answer is always a hammer? The salespeople at all but Grizzley (haven't called them, yet) seem as interested in bashing the competition as selling a product! :>(
The Minimax (http://www.minimax-usa.com/bandsaws/mm20.html has more weight but Euro guides and less re-saw capacity (I can't forsee me needing 20" resaw) and a slightly bigger table.
The Laguna http://www.lagunatools.com/lt20.htm has the proprietary guides, greater resaw capacity and a Baldor motor. It is claimed that the fence is better since it can be rotated from low to high profile like a Unifence while the cast iron fence of the Minimax cannot (but is relatively tall).
Both include shipping, blades and mobility kits, Minimax offers the resaw blade at cost ($100).
Finally Grizzley again: specs at http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/specsheets/G3619_ds.pdf? The web site for description and cost: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=G3619 Note that this size is what it would take to approximate the resaw capacity of the others. And the others offer on the floor delivery, but Grizzley suggests a freight depot (I have a lift-gate on my pickup, however).
The next wood show in Florida is a while away and much farther from home this time... and Grizz hasn't come to our show before so a "hands on" for their product may be impossible.
What to do, what to do...
If I were planning on spending that kind of money on that much machine a hands on trip would definitely be in order.

Agreed, but where to see them all is the problem... Grizzley usually doesn't come to our shows.

<snipped 4 BW)
Thomas Bunetta wrote:

doesn't
machine a

Tom: I would highly recomend the Mini Max.......IMHO it is the best saw and best value....this is the last bandsaw you will ever need to buy. Mini Max's customer service is legandary. You deserve the highest quality ...do notsettle for price...it is soon forgotten Mike from American Sycamore

Thanks Mike, I still wonder about the guides (can be added for a price$$). The ceramic has pros and cons, the biggest pro is the generally non-wearing quality. The cons are the possibility of blade wear from improperly adjusted guides and sparking. Tom

Mike
I second the recommendation for MiniMax. Couple years ago I went thru the same quest, and settled on the MM24. MM just gave me the facts, and did NOT bad mouth the competition. Laguana spent all their time bad mouthing everyone else.
I am TOTALLY happy with the MM24 and would buy again - even though the price NOW is higher than it was when I bought it a while back
John
On 26 Jan 2005 08:49:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote:

You guys are pushing me closer to the crowbar! No bigger Grizzley experiences?o Tom

Thomas Bunetta Wrote:

If size matters, that Grizzly is HUGE. after physically looking ove the grizzly 18" G0506 and the 21" for months, I ended up getting th MM16. The quality if the MM is just head and shoulders above th Grizzly
-- stifler
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:01:19 -0500, the inscrutable "Thomas Bunetta"

Since you can't even spell "Grizzly" or its abbreviated form "Griz", you don't deserve one, Tom. Go ahead, spend twice the price for a Laguna or Minmax. See if we care. ;)
What are you trying to resaw, Tom? I get 10" capability with my 18" saw. (I really should grab a log some time and use that capability, huh?)

Ouch! My Suffolk Timberwolf resaw blade was $18 + s/h. At your price, I hope it's a bimetal with carbide tips.

See? No "e".

I didn't order floor delivery but my G1012 came on a liftgate and the guy wheeled it to my specified drop point with no problem. It all depends on who your freight company is and the attitude of the driver. That probably goes for all the mfgrs, not just Griz.

You could always visit their east coast showroom in Muncy, PA. http://www.grizzly.com/showroom_pa.cfm? (BTW, there's no "e" in "Muncy", either.) <bseg>
--- After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
I bought a MM16 about three months ago and love it. I also looked at Grizzly and Laguna (I even visited the Laguna headquarters on a trip to LA).
If you look at the saws in person you will quickly see that the Laguna and Minimax are in a different class than the Grizzly. Much sturdier and seemingly better construction (and even a few labels in Italian). So, I quickly ruled out the Grizzly. My motto is "buy once, cry once" -- as in crying over the price. I wanted a saw that I would be happy with for 20 years and I have no doubts that the MM will do that. I have nothing against Grizzly. I have a Grizzly tablesaw and it is fantastic -- I would buy it again over a Unisaw any day.
So, that brings it down to Laguna and MM. Both saws are high quality. I think that laguna's block guides or whatever they call them are something of a marketing ploy. These are a *slight* variation on the blocks used on old saws. I'm not impressed by patent pending -- I used to be a patent attorney and let me say that the standards in the US are VERY low when it comes to what is deserving of a patent. And patent pending doesn't mean that they will get a patent -- it means they have applied.
Getting back to the saws. I felt that the MM was more massive than the Laguna. Everything on it is heavier gauge than the Laguna. I have to admit that the Laguna looks slicker .... grey and black with that nice looking Laguna logo on it. But, if you start looking at the details, like the frame and the mechanism that lowers toward the table and holds the guides I think you'll find that the MM is heftier than the Laguna.
I also found the MM sales people to be far more helpful. Many of the folks at Laguna that I talked to were outright arogant. I visited there headquarters in LA and it started with the receptionist at the front desk. I would hate to have to deal with them on a customer support issue.

When I was shopping last year, that was exactly my impression. Not that pre-sales support is necessarily an indication of anything other than just that. But it is interesting to me that my observation was not unique.
-Steve
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:54:47 -0500, "Stephen M"

In my book pre-sales support is the single best indicator of post-sales support. If they don't take care of you when they're trying to get your money, they're not likely to do any better once they've got your money.
Maybe it's time to cross Laguna off my wish list.
--RC

don't overlook bridgewood. their larger bandsaws are italian made and in the same class as the MM and laguna. <http://www.wilkemachinery.com/OnlineCatalogDetailResults.tpl?SearchDetail039417982169&PreviousCategory ndsaws>

<http://www.wilkemachinery.com/OnlineCatalogDetailResults.tpl?SearchDetail039417982169&PreviousCategory ndsaws>
Nice saws, but the 20" equivalent is American, not Italian and the bigger saws are all 3 phase. I got an email from the Minimax guy, and the deal gets sweeter if I wait for the Orlando show. If I do though, I'll have to haul it all the way back from there to my place. Tom
<snip>

Mea Culpa... my spiel chucker didn't like "grizzly" <G>

Logs are one thing, but veneers and panels are the primary resaw use.

<snip>>
It does, or stellite... I don't remember which at the moment.

<snip>
OK, OK I get it <grin>.

<snip>> I didn't order floor delivery but my G1012 came on a liftgate and the

<snip>
Both Laguna and Minimax tell me they will "put it on the floor, Griz simply states it's my responsibility to get it off the truck, and suggests a forklift.

Ha! I seldom get out of Englewood! Thanks for your input (and the chiding ;>). Tom
<snip>
[...]

sorry guys, Outlook Express hiccoughed.
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:03:50 -0500, the inscrutable "Thomas Bunetta"

So dump LookOUT Express, eh? ;)
Interesting article for ya: http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=reviews&file=articles_206.shtml

Right, but what shape is the wood from which you're shaving veneer?

Just wanted to make sure. <titter>

My 18-incher came in a 200 lb crate could have been easily offloaded had the need arisen. Big Arn like the 20 and 24" monsters could use a forklift or auto wrecker boom. You could, however, find out who they'd use to ship it to you and make the necessary arrangements. It's usually only a $50 addition.

Hey, stop closing down Spanky's Lounge and Tulie's and get to work.

Jewelcome. Now go buy that Minimax if you're too much of a wuss to buy the Griz. Crikey, I just looked at their prices. <thud>
======================================================= Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications =======================================================