Big Planer Owners

I have a question about the bigger planers. I am considering the purchase of a new 15" stationary planer. Is there an advantage to the motor being under rather than on top and or the cutter head moving up and down rather than the table. I realize that with a moving table that the in feeds will need always out of whack if used. In particular I am looking at a Jet JWP-15cs with motor on bottom,with the table that moves up and down, closed base with wheels, rollers on top for sliding the work rather than carrying it back for the next pass and the X5 Delta. The Delta 22-780X has the motor on top the cutter head moves and it has long swing down roller in feed and out feed extensions. They look twice as long as the Jet in feed and out feed rollers and no wheels for mobility. So far the Delta looks real nice when considering the long fold down roller extensions.

Thanks

Reply to
Leon

cant answer yet but i just finnished unloading my xmas present. a 20 " powermatic model 209. as soon as SWMBO will let me open it i will let ya know how it does.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

I don't recall the model number (380?), Leon, but the 'motor-on-top' Delta has been my work horse planer for over 20 years. The guy who owns the shop now, still works it pretty hard. That 3HP isn't going to waste. I replaced the out-feed roller, a chain, a set of bearings and a hand wheel. Mine did not have the fancy-pants roller tables... that would have been nice.

If I ever find myself looking at production again, I'd do it all over again. (Assuming the quality is still there...and nowadays.. who knows?) I took a job which included 800 sq-ft of cherry floors, and bought a set of carbide knives for it.... I cannot imagine a better finish from a planer.

After that thing, I cannot stand the sound and wind-up of those universal motors you now find in all those lunch-box planers.

That was a tool done right.

Reply to
Robatoy

Usually the cheaper planers have a brushed (universal) motor mounted directly onto a moving head. The better ones have a fixed head driven by an induction motor underneath. Industrial ones are similar, but the bed stays fixed and the head moves (this needs a more complex belt tensioner).

An induction motor is quieter and cooler running, giving a longer life. Unless you're really going to hammer it, and your chip collection is already remote and quiet, then you might never notice the difference.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thank you sir.

I confess that the last time I was around a large planer was in school. I have been using an original portable, The Ryobi AP -10 since 1988. You mention sound wind up noise on the portables, is the Delta quieter? IIRC the school shop monsters were unmistakable noisy.

Reply to
Leon

Yes but the larger 15" Deltas have the induction motor on top. The salesman seemed to believe that the motor on top would wear out the adjustment screws faster than the the one with the motor on bottom. I believe that this may be true but not while I am alive.

Reply to
Leon

When I'm planing really long material, well, 8 feet or longer actually. I like to have an out-feed support. I don't want to have to adjust it all of the time. I like moving cutter heads and stationary feed tables. Set it all up once and get busy!

.02 from a new guy, Tom

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Mine had an induction motor. There's the noise of the air getting churned by the blades.. some gears and chains.. but none of that screamin' demon of the AP-10. I used to have one of those as well. Very handy on a job site. One of the very early ones. It was a great solution for a lot of aspiring woodworkers in those days. I think it pretty much put Ryobi on the map.

Maybe if you took a dB reading on either planer, there may not be a big difference other than 'balls'. The pitch is different.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Jody

addendumdumdadumdum

I also wanted to add something which I tend to think is important. Universal motors on a planer is not the best choice, because they will slow down as you load them up. Induction motors continue at the same speed (up to a point ..an obvious point) and I think feed-rate is an important component whenever you're cutting anything. There are electronic solutions to constant speed in the world of universal motors, but I don't know if any lunch-box-style planers have that much sophistication.

Reply to
Robatoy

Great, thanks again. I was afraid that the bigger one would be louder.

Reply to
Leon

I feel the same way I always support my work now, manually. However, the Delta that I am looking at has about 6' of support counting the in feed and out feed. I'll be able to let go sooner.

Reply to
Leon

I was looking at that and agree with the motor being in the mix but as you pointed out it may not be a serious problem. And right now I walk each board around rather than roll them over the top so that would not be any addition problem. Actually I seldom do 1 board and stack them all up, make a depth adjustment and run them all through again.

Reply to
Leon

Well for sure the planer will be the larger stationary style with the induction motor. Ever since the portables went to disposable blades I have had a bad taste in my mouth about them. My old AP-10 is still using the same original set that I resharpen. I bet the savings of blade replacement and sharpening alone will pay for the difference in price between the 2 planers. Typically new disposable blades run in the 30 to 50 dollar range. Also the 30 fpm rate to get the stock close to thickness has to have its advantages over the 16 and or 20 fpm max portables.

Reply to
Leon

Do you think it will be big enough? LOL Good for you.

Reply to
Leon

I've been using the ancestor of the top-motor types - RC 33 - for the last twenty five or so at home, and various at shops at my school and others.

I like the motor up top in a small shop. Fewer clearance surprises that way. As to the rollers in and out, they're more trouble than they're worth. People try to use them as handles, which throws them out of line, because they're flimsy as hell. A moment's inattention will trap a hand between the end of an outfeeding board and the roller, which is even worse. The business of rollers up top to "return" a board being planed is plain stupid. If you have two people, you hand the board. If you have one, you walk.

For one-man operation, go top motor. For two, doesn't matter.

Reply to
George

With the particular Delta model that I am looking at, the rollers have steel between them so that there is not a chance of getting a hand trapped and the extensions are quite solid. It is more like a flat table with openings just large enough for the largre rollers to be exposed. Otherwise I totally agree so much that most any other planer I have seen with in and out feed rollers do have large gaps that could lead to a serious injury if one is not paying attention. Take a look here and click to enlarge the picture.

The business of rollers up top to "return" a board being planed is plain stupid.

The more I think about it the more I agree. It seems like it would be more effort to raise the board up there and push it half way, walk to the other side and grab it again. It actually sounds like more work in the long run. I have been walking the wood around for 15+ years with out any problem.

Reply to
Leon

The DC-380(22-780X) is a very nice planer. Built like a tank and can handle any big load. The blades are a pain in the ass to install but not bad.

I have had mine for about three years now and just changed out the blades.

The only "disadvantage" to the motor on top is that on the lunch box planer I had(12.5" Delta), it had a little roller on top that helped out a LOT in moving the lumber back and forth from outfeed to infeed, while the damn big 15" does not have that fancy little roller.

That's not a show stopper and I would easily purchase the Delta again. The infeed and outfeed rollers are wonderful.

Le> I have a question about the bigger planers. I am considering the purchase

Reply to
Pat Barber

I forgot to add....get the mobile base at all costs...this is a very heavy sucker and requires a mobile base. I think that the current package throws in the base but if not, pay the $100 and get it anyway.

Have a few friends over for the unloading....

Pat Barber wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber