Big iron... nice saw with good price.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4390244955.html
--
Jeff

On Monday, March 24, 2014 5:01:23 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

That saw price might be a typo, but you never know. The same Allentown listing says $500, also.
Sonny
On 3/24/2014 6:19 PM, Sonny wrote:

Seems like a giveaway to me, too...of course, most recreational wwr's won't have the room or the need so demand likely isn't terribly high. But, in a major metro area one would think there wouldn't be trouble getting more than that if one had any patience at all...

On 3/24/2014 6:01 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Leaving aside this fellow's spelling quirks, what do you suppose "duel 14" blades" means? Perhaps just that it comes with a second blade?
Greg Guarino wrote:

Maybe he means you can cut on either side of the blade with a miter guage (I see 2 miter guage slots). There are other spelling errors too, so I wouldn't read into it too deeply. Why don't you ask him?
Bill

On 3/25/2014 8:59 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Nope, they're dual-arbor...
<http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id 80>

On 3/25/2014 10:16 AM, dpb wrote:

That's cool, I guess you could mount a rip and crosscut blade and switch quickly.
--
Jeff

On 3/25/2014 9:24 AM, Bill wrote: ...

No, he means it is dual arbor -- see link in other followup.
See the big round casting? The two arbors rotate in there to allow setup for production work between two blade setups just by rotating arbor position instead of changing blade. Dado on the other was typical setup.

On 3/25/2014 9:41 AM, dpb wrote:

Here's a Fagan, not Oliver, patent but same idea. Quick search didn't really find a good picture of an Oliver itself that clearly shows the dual arbor arrangement...there was a 260 in the ww shop down at Navy shipyard in Norfolk where my cousin was stationed way, way, back...
<http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?id0352

On 3/25/2014 10:48 AM, dpb wrote:

Thanks. I had never heard of such a thing.

According to http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id 80
An old Oliver Model 90 bench saw. It is a dual arbor saw that, according to Oliver literature, was designed to be a smaller version of the model 60 dual arbor saw. Overall it is very similar, 2 14" saw blades carryed on a rotating yoke, sliding table, flat belt drive. The model 60 carried 2 16" blades. As with the Model 60, a single larger blade can be used, in this case 18".
--
Drew Lawson | What is an "Oprah"?
| -- Teal'c
On 3/25/2014 9:59 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Yeah, these are _serious_ iron for production shops; not just overgrown Unisaurs...

On 3/25/2014 10:38 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Yeah, if I were within a day's drive of Philly I'd already be on me way...
As noted, these are serious machines...the shop where I've seen one in operation was at Norfolk Navy shops almost 40 yr ago. They had it set up w/ standard combination on one and a dado set for jointing on the other.