Big compressor for my birthday

Page 2 of 2

There's a bunch of newer conversion guns on the market that use less air. They'd more accurately be described as MVLP (medium velocity). Most of these work at 5-10 CFM and they're fine for most woodworking projects. A typical 25 gallon unit is usually sufficient to run these guns.
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:51:15 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

"She" + "car"? No. "Truck" + "Borg Crew" or "forklift", probably OK. ;)

No, it won't do 90' of yacht hull in one pass, but a 2+HP compressor should easily work for most furniture, especially if an extra storage tank is connected.
--
The ancient and curious thing called religion, as it shows itself in the
modern world, is often so overladen with excrescences and irrelevancies

That's right Larry. I used to use a 5HP (yeah... right...) 33 gallon, single stage Sears compressor to spray and it worked just fine spraying cars. It puked when you tried to run a DA, but it certainly sprayed just fine. Suction guns will work just fine with under 10 SCFM. I have Binks and DeVilbiss guns so I'd say they meet the previous poster's definition of "good spray guns".
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
william kossack wrote:

OK thanks guys
I think I may try one of the spray guns rated for my compressor
PS most of my work is small joinery boxes. I've only done a couple larger things like a chair or a small desk mainly because when I talk about larger projects the response from the SWMBO is where would we put it.
My next finishing project is a couple chairs that stay out side that I have to sand and revarnish every year. I figure a spray gun would be a lot better and cheeper in the long run than buying spray cans.
william kossack wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 03:04:10 GMT, william kossack

this gun works fine: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberC430 for fairly thin (watery) finishes. it has stainless innards so it's ok with waterbase stuff. it'll spray laquer fine, but don't expect it to perform well with latex paint or heavy varnish.
it's cheap, too. $40. the same gun is sold a bunch of places at around $100.

matter, You blow!