Best wood for long shelves

Page 2 of 2

todd wrote:

I have a couple questions for you then. Something I always wondered.
Imagine a torsion box, well made with 1/4" ply top and bottom and 1- 1/2" thick. Let's say it's for a shelf 6ft long and 11-1/4" wide. Now imagine a solid plank, 2x12 construction lumber (not fir). Would you think the torsion box would be stiffer or would the solid plank be stiffer?
I would imagine that if one used oak instead of spf, the oak plank would be stronger than both.
Also, would I be correct in thinking that 2 pieces of 1x12 laminated together would be stiffer than a solid 2x12? If so, why? (other than minimizing and spreading out defects, which is pretty obvious)
I know I could probably do some homework and look this stuff up... but you're here, right?

Depends on what sort of plywood it is. Likely to be close. But make the box 2" thick and it will win. 3" and the plank has no chance.

No, it would be the same unless you had trouble finding 2x without splits and things.

Tell me about the construction of the insides of the torsion box. The makeup of the longitudinal pieces will have the greatest effect on stiffness. I imagine it will be 3/4x1 SPF of some kind.
todd
Murray Peterson wrote:

Turn 'em over once in a while.

*That* makes a difference.
Murray Peterson wrote:

If you are interested, can tell you how to build this shelf using foam, knitted fiber glass and epoxy along with the basic wooden shelf that is say 3/4" thick.
It would probably support at leat 200 lbs, weigh maybe 10 lbs max.
Contact me off list if interested.
Lew
You can add an enormous amount of support strength to your shelving by adding a cleat underneath the front edge of a shelf. This is usually a 3/4 x 1" plywood strip, glued (and preferebly screwed as well) about 1/2" back from the front edge of the shelf and running the width of the shelf... also gives a classy look to the shelf.

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:38:05 GMT, Murray Peterson

Ply or solid wood deflects the least. You might consider a 2" lip on front and in the back or a torsion box to help. Six feet is a lot.