Best final project for a woodworker ...

Browsing the Rockler catalog the other day, came across these plans. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 0&filterΚsket http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pageP16&filter Κsket
"Not yet -- I'm not done building my final project !!! " :-)
--
Mikey aka "mr.gadget"

Add pictures here
βœ–
Make mine a Pine box.
I think every Catholic woodworker was probably very impressed by the big dovetails on the Pope's outer box a few years back.
On May 27, 3:01 pm, "Mike Fields"

Add pictures here
βœ–
Even some of us Methodist wood workers where impressed with that "plain" wooden coffin. Puff
message wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

When my father died back in December, we buried him in a cherry casket from St. Meinrad Archabbey in Southern Indiana where I went to school: http://www.abbeycaskets.com/caskets.asp
It was gorgeous and a lot classier than the tacky caskets most funeral homes sell.
Dick Durbin Tallahassee
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wow, Dick, that looks like a very repectable piece of work for $ 2K. I wonder if they export.
Add pictures here
βœ–

They are very nice, but not for me. I'd rather go in a cardboard box and let my wife and friends party with the money saved. I just don't see the value of putting an expensive box in the ground. I'm for cremation and no viewing. If you want to see me, if you want me to have flowers, do it now, not after I'm gone.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

I die, please re-use them as best as possible. Then dispose of my remains so that nothing is left behind, as cheaply as possible.
--
Best regards
Han

Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm opting for a post-hole digger. Bury me vertically, I'll take up less space. Just a hole, cover me up with a lid from a garbage can.
But the casket lobby made rules......
Add pictures here
βœ–
Somebody wrote:

Those were also my father's sentiments.
Robatoy wrote:

My mother had to put her 2nd husband in a nursing home.
When I went to visit, it was early evening, the lights were low, and people were around a large room, sitting in wheelchairs.
My immediate thought was, "My God, this is a warehouse for people waiting to die."
When I got home, sat at the kitchen table and drank a bottle of wine, very unusual for me, and thought, "When my time comes, take me to my boat, give me a bottle of Scotch, a bottle of Drambuie, and a bag of ice."
"Install a water soluble seacock, rig the sails, set the autopilot, and cast me off."
Hopefully, I won't remember unkind things.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think they actually do that in NYC.
Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
Seems kind of morbid to me but I guess its not to everyone. I have a cousin who built very nice caskets for his wife and himself a few years ago. Beautiful but not quite as elaborate as some of the mortuary boxes. To him it was a challenging project with a defined purpose. They are stored in the attic storage of his workshop building.
RonB

Add pictures here
βœ–
RonB wrote:

My wife's uncle had built his own...He took great delight in showing his final resting place....until needed they used it for blanket storage. Rod
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'm not too big on the "final project idea, but, as a blacksmith, I just attended a 3 day grave marker workshop.
Mike Fields wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

My buddy decoy carver, the late and talented Harry Waite, carved a hollow canvasback drake with a plug in the bottom. His wife put his ashes in this floating casket and put it in the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay. A couple found the decoy with the description of the contents and donated it to the museum at St. Michaels, MD. Here's a link to a PDF of their newsletter with a photo of Harry's fantastic carving on the last page.
www.cbmm.org/mag_fall04.pdf
I understand that some dipshit state regulations forbade the display of something with human remains, so the decoy is no longer on exhibit.
Joel Jacobson
Add pictures here
βœ–