Bending/twisting wood (was Bending Oak)

I have a project I'd like to try. It's fairly small, the pieces are no longer that 10". I don't have the means (money) to build a steam box. The "slats" are 1/8 - 3/16 thick by 2 - 3 inches wide. Questions are: 1) What's the easiest wood to bend? 2) W/O a steam box, can I just boil the wood in a skillet? 3) For one of the projects, I need to put a 90 degree twist down the length of the slat, can this be done? 4) What's the best finish to keep the wood from "unbending"?
: I have a project I'd like to try. It's fairly small, the pieces are no : longer that 10". I don't have the means (money) to build a steam box.
All you need is a length of 4" or larger PVC pipe, an end cap, and a teakettle. The : "slats" are 1/8 - 3/16 thick by 2 - 3 inches wide. Questions are: : 1) What's the easiest wood to bend?
Steamed ash is good.
: 3) For one of the projects, I need to put a 90 degree twist down the length : of the slat, can this be done?
Probably, depending on how thin the wood is, and how abrupt a twist you want.
: 4) What's the best finish to keep the wood from "unbending"?
Thew finish isn't going to do much. If you laminate a few pieces together, epoxy or urea-formaldehyde glue will stop springback.
    -- Andy Barss

SNIP >
Ash is a great choice, and should be straight-grained because you rived it yourself - best option, or you cut along the annual rings of a quartered piece. Don't worry about waves in them, they'll steam straight. Thicknessing is a bandsaw/pivot pin proposition. You don't have to be fanatic and thump the side of a well-soaked black ash like the basket folks, but your chances of success are greatest if you follow the principles they use.
soak them in water and wrap them in wet paper towels and place in the microwave oven until they stop steaming about two or three mins. works good. Stan