Benchdog router table insert :(

Tied to install a BenchDog router table insert on my tablesaw tonight. The SOB is heavy I'll say that for it, and it had a good coating of cosmoline over it.

Open the package see several different sizes of bolts (grade 8 no less) for mounting. That's good at least they had the forsight to see that different flavors of saws want different size bolts. Look in package but no nuts. How much more expense / trouble would it have been to supply correct nuts for the bolts? cheap a.. basta.... !!!

Rooted around in my excellently orginized nut, bolt, washer, and all attachment bin (junk drawer). Found some that seemed to match but aren't the correct pitch -- they slip threads and won't tighten down under pressure. So off to Ace tomorrow after work to buy the correct nuts. You'd think after 35 years of collecting all sorts of crap from old machines/motors .... you;d end up with at least one matching nut. Aaarrrghhhh. Thank you -- yes I do feel better now.

Reply to
xxxx

You know it never works that way. For the last 35 years or more, every time I need a screw and don't have it, I buy a whole box when I go to the hardware store. You would think by now, I'd have enough boxes of various lengths, sizes, type of material, head types and finally choices between slotted, phillips and robertson drives.

Nope. Just last weekend I had to go buy more screws because I didn't have what I needed in the shop. About the only thing I ever have when I need it is size

6-8-10 in 1-1/4, 1-1/2 and 2". And while I have these, it always turns out that I am never quite have the quantity needed.

Murphy was an optimist.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

xxxx wrote in news:XnsA3C8D12C66D76dontenenthinkaboutit@69.16.179.22:

A few years ago, I bought a bunch of the most common sizes of #6, #8, #

10, 1/4", and 5/16" washers and nuts. It's come in handy many times, and sure is nice when I walk over to the drawer and pick up the hardware I need.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Back in the mid 1960's I worked for a large manufacturing company and we had many fasteners. I brought home a selection of typical nuts and bolts. I still have some 1/4-20 nuts in steel, brass, and aluminum. As well as a few other sized, but the change to metric made me actually buy some stuff.

I never throw out any extra hardware that may come with something. It helps at times.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

----------------------------------------------- When I first came to SoCal was told to find a place called Cal-Aero and plan on spending 3-4 hours just looking around.

Found their store which was only a couple of blocks from a facility used to build space modules.

The space module facility has been leveled and redeveloped.

Cal-Aero keeps chugging along.

4 hours is not enough to do the place right, but it's better than nothing.

Used machine tool assy's, hand tools from around the world, UV resistant silver tarps along with the conduit fittings to build frames for the silver tarps, and enough fastners to fill up at least 2,000 sq ft of display space.

The fastners are sold by the pound, a minimum of 10 pounds total at a time of assorted sizes gets you a good price.

Time to stock up on fender washers, ESNA stop nuts and what ever else strikes your fancy.

Yes, a trip to Cal-Aero was quite an experience, it's like a trip back in time.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

I never throw out any extra hardware that may come with something. It helps at times.

************************* In addition, I never throw out anything without taking it apart and getting the semi-easily removable hardware from it. That is why I seldom need more nuts and bolts and screws.

- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans